Chapter 24- A Gentle Touch

"Just meet me at Legal Seafood at seven." I told him over the phone as I was picking up the living room.

"No problem, babe. If you don't mind me asking though, what's the occasion?"

I thought of a few answers to the probable questions he would ask, "I just missed you so much! And I want to start our night there with a nice dinner, then... oh, I don't know... you figure out the rest." I replied easily with a playful attitude.

His laugh was light over the phone, "I'm up for that," I heard him packing things up in his suitcase, "That's perfect because I have to talk to you about something."

"What?" My heart sank down, he has news for me too? Good news, I hope.

"Oh you'll see. Don't worry." His answer was quick as the zipper for him luggage went just as fast.

"Oh, uh okay. Well, I have to talk to you about something too!" I stood straight, looking around the room, feeling satisfied with the cleanliness.

"I can't wait to see you babe. I know I have only been gone for four days, but being away from you feels for so long. Luckily, I won't have to do this again for a while."

My smile was contagious across my face with the anxious butterflies awaiting his touch and kiss were swarming inside of me, "I know, babe. Save it for when you get home though! Can't wait to see you! But I have to get dressed."

"Love you, babe. See you later," His voice crisp and it made me want him here even more. Oh boy, I cannot wait to tell him, I'm almost tempted to blurt it out over the phone right now. But I'm keeping my patience in order-- I will wait. 

"Love you too, babe." Click.

I sighed, only four days and it already feels like a lifetime. I couldn't help it when I thought that this feeling was so familiar. I couldn't put down the fact that I have felt this wanting for someone to come back, awaiting for them to come back to me and my open arms. I was able to think about Derek now without getting so upset. Yes, it was a beautiful and horrendous part of my life at the same time. But without Derek, there wouldn't be Jerry. And without Derek or Jerry, my life would be so much different. I can't even imagine my life without the two of them growing up alongside me. Jerry and I often bring back memories of the three of us going places and doing different things. Everything sounded like a distant memory. Derek sounded like a distant memory. 

Sometimes I even wonder what would happen if Derek hadn't died. Would I be married to him right now? Would we be planing our wedding? Would be starting a family? Our lives together? Would I be pregnant with his baby?

The thought made a jolt go through my stomach, and I clutched it softly. My belly was still flat but that didn't stop me from trying to picture myself as a nine-month pregnant lady with her face "glowing" as she stood radiant from people admiring her belly. 

I stood in front of the mirror and placed a hand on my stomach. Looking down and lifting my shirt off I rubbed my stomach with both hands and spoke as softly as I could, a whisper that no one but I could hear, "Hey baby. Daddy's coming home tonight! I can';t wait to tell him all about you... I love you, baby."

That was the moment that I felt a small tear in my eye as I spoke so gently. This baby, this man, this place is all the best things that have ever happened to me. This is my life, I'm in charge of it, and it couldn't be anymore precious. I wanted to tell someone so bad, but I'm telling Jerry before I tell anyone else. Nobody is going to know besides me right now... unless you count the pharmacy guy who sold me the pregnancy tests. But we aren't going to count him.

I am pregnant with Jerry's baby, and nothing has made me happier since the day he asked me to move in with him. I love that man with all my heart, it's hard to believe that I almost lost him. 

I don't know what I would do if I lost him...