Chapter 2- My Forever Goodbye

Chapter 2

My Forever Goodbye

                After the happiness and the talk of weddings, marriage, love, and memories, school had ended and it was time to say goodbye. I took him to the airport one summer day in July. We were carrying the camouflage bags, and on the way to the terminal I tried to remember what I was going to say at this moment. I had waited for this for so long, and now that it is here, it is now so real. I didn’t want to say goodbye, but I had to, and there was no other choice. We dropped the bags and I fell into his arms. He sighed into my hair, and I started to cry into his chest. I looked up to him and took in his features.

“I’m going to miss you so much.” I claimed

“I’m going to miss you too. But we will write all the time, I promise it won’t be like my school work.”

I laughed, “I know” I sighed, “I love you” He kissed me gently on the mouth.

“I love you too, I always have, I always will” He kissed me one more time, a long kiss this time. He then took my hand and looked at my ring and kissed my finger gently. “I’ll be back, before you know it.”

“You better be.” I said, closing my eyes as he kissed me again. I let go of him and he picked up his bags and started to walk away. I watched him go as I crossed my arms, starting to feel the tears rolling down my face. I turned away and slowly walked but then I heard my name being called from behind me and I quickly turned around to find him running towards me and found myself running towards him as well. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and kissed me one more time.

“I love you” he said with an amused grin on his face.

“Love you too” I said with a smile this time, as we let go of each other and he started to walk away with his military uniform on. People surrounding us had given us sincere smiles of either admiring young love, the fact that he was going into the military, or the sadness which was separating us. But I was alone again, with a room crowded with people. I turned back around and started to head towards the doors to my car, and this time I knew no one was running back to yell my name and to kiss me one more time and that scared me more than ever.

                That was the last time I ever saw him. My thoughts of him are only now found in my memories of four beautiful years together, a ring which I still keep on my finger, and the letters that he sent me. Sometimes I wonder if there was any point, but when I visit his grave I know that there is a point to everything you do in life. We had grown from kids to young adults together. We had matured together, and we shared our memories and love with one another. Our love will always remain, no matter what else I do in life. Some say that it was just another love story gone wrong because of a death. We were young, and half the time, we didn’t know what we were doing. But in the end, it was an essence of beauty which will always remain in my heart.