Chapter Thirty Three

The flight to Florida wasn't too long compared to the flight to Paris, but Bea had been awake screaming the entire time, and I was so tired without another adult to help me. Clark hadn't slept either and was intent on knowing what the whole flight brochure she had found in her seat pocket had said. I had hoped her little eyes would glaze over with boredom once I finished the first glossy page about where the airline travelled to and how many passengers flew on it daily, but alas, the kid was convinced she needed to absorb all of the twenty pages, like they were one of her story books.

Once the plane landed, the heat on the tarmac was a relief. It was a beautiful time to visit, and the forecast was good for the next two weeks. I had been asked by Drew to stay at her apartment but had decided a hotel near her would be better. I didn't really know her yet so I didn't feel comfortable staying with her. I needed time to be alone with the girls, and so this was the perfect solution. James had wanted it also, and he felt better that we were at a hotel. His insecurities about why I was visiting Florida were out of control. He honestly believed I was perhaps here to stay. It took much convincing and his own phone call to Drew to be reassured. Drew made it easy, she seemed to dislike Amber as much as he said he didn't and tried not to. Counselling had helped soothe his anger at Amber for finding us in Paris. He knew it wasn't her fault that we had divorced, we were already headed there, and it was my fault and not hers that he hadn't realised how hard I was finding it. James still harboured some resentment towards her , and that was okay, it was how he felt and he needed to be honest so that we could move forward in a healthy co-parenting relationship.

I had Bea on my hip and Clarks fingers laced through mine as we headed through airport security and then baggage claim. Bea was sucking away on her milk with not a care in the world, and Clark was humming the soundtrack of the little mermaid. It seemed Bea hated flying as much as I did when she was conscious. I sat outside the airport and awaited Drew to pick us up. Clarks fair skin was flushed red, and she wasn't used to this heat. I placed her white sun hat over her head and stroked her pink cheeks.

"It's so sunny here Momma" she observed "Can we go to the beach?" She asked excitedly.

"We will baby" I promised "Maybe tomorrow" I replied, handing her a juice box from my bag. She took the colourfully printed juice box in both hands and sucked the juice up the straw.

Bea threw her bottle to the ground and giggled as it rolled away down the curb. I sighed and tickled her sides as I bent down to retrieve it.

"Bea, you can't come to the beach if you are naughty" Clark declared as she handed me the empty juice box.

Bea jumped down from my lap and stumbled over to Clark beside me, before sitting herself down identically beside Clark with her legs hanging over the curb in the same way. I watched Beas green eyes find Clarks and hold her gaze as she tried to appease her. Bea was becoming a little girl more and more every day, and less my baby, and in doing so she craved Clark's approval. The power went to Clarks head often, she gave Bea many a chore, the initiation process into sisterhood and becoming a big girl seemed a long one under Clarks rule as the oldest sibling. I found myself laughing at their little relationship as it blossomed every day. I was never a sister myself, but I imagined how wonderful it could be. Amber had said Drew was like a sister to me, and it made me wonder how we had got on ourselves.

...

A big red Jeep pulled up in front of us and a stocky woman with short brown hair jumped out. She rounded the car and grabbed me tight before leaning back a little as she took a good look at me.

"So" she asked excitedly "any memories triggered seeing me in person?"

She bent down and said "hi" to Clark.