Chapter Two

The first morning at the hotel, and James and Clark had already decided we would be going to Disneyland as our first official day here. I fought the idea at first. I had wanted desperately to see the art galleries, catch a late lunch and drink coffee casually in a corner café basking in the atmosphere. I knew that would never happen on a family vacation with babies, but I could dream. In fact if James wasn't careful, I would buy a beret and start smoking cigarettes too.

James stood, lifting Clark onto his shoulders as they both gave me a 'Bea special' their bottom lip wobbling, until they got their way. I gave in as usual, and we grabbed our backpacks and double stroller. With the theme park booklet in hand, we made our way to the bus.

We took the bus that went straight up to the gates.

James leant down to me and brushed my face with his rough stubble. "This is gonna be so fun honey"

I looked up at his big blue eyes and smiled back at his goofy expression as he looked out of the window in excitement. James's big childlike heart was what I had fallen in love with when deep down in my own heart I was lost.

I looked down to Bea sat on my lap, her chubby little legs squashed against my own. She wiggled and turned to look up at me. I picked her up in my already tanned arms. It's funny how buffed in the biceps Moms get from holding a little human all day long. I turned Bea to face us, so that she could look out of the window and bounce confidently up and down. Clark was sat on James's knee, her little button nose pressed against the window excitedly.

"I want to see the castle Momma" she squealed. "Do you think I can see Ariel?" she asked in excited breaths.

Bea pulled at her sisters light brown hair. I had put up it up into two bunches with red ribbons, clearly an invitation to baby hands.

"Sure honey" James replied, kissing Clarks forehead.

I couldn't help but always feel found when I looked into both of my daughters eyes, as there I was, in their reflection. Bea had my light green eyes, and Clark had light hazel eyes that sometimes seemed green too. Clark and James were my first family, of which I can remember anyway. I push those thoughts aside, not wanting to think about it. James picks Bea up from my lap, and blows bubbles on her tummy. Clark joined in. Bea laughed and giggled at their mouths on her Buddha belly, until the bus approached the gates of Disneyland Paris.

The day was hot and humid. James retrieved the stroller from the storage under the bus and pulled it into place. I sat Bea down into the shaded seat and clicked her strap into place. Clark jumped in beside her, closing her own buckle. She didn't need to be in a stroller anymore, but we had asked her to whilst we were on vacation, just incase she got tired with all of the walking. Of course in Clark style she wanted to know "How come?"

James put his arms down around my shoulders. Compared to him, I was bite size. I was five foot four and petite. I looked slightly darker than him too, almost Italian or European in skin tone. James always called me his little piece of Italy. He watched too many reality shows with feisty little Italian housewives, of which apparently I resemble. I had also only cooked pasta in the ten months we had been dating at the start of our relationship, and for James, that was a sign. It was a sign alright, a sign I wasn't a natural chef.

We paid for our tickets and walked through the crowds. I took James's hand in mine and smiled, today was going to be special.

I had no way of knowing, that what I thought was going to be a beautiful day, would soon be ruined by those haunting words...

"Oh my god its Sydney" The lady said, grabbing at my shoulders.

She was a loud American, with hair as high as she was tall.

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are" I replied, trying to remove the strangers sweaty hands from my body.

My mind was going a hundred miles per hour as the stranger had approached us suddenly, grabbing me like we were acquainted. James came to my side. his hand reaching for mine protectively to pull me away from her.

"Oh honey, you sure do" She turned quickly and ushered over the man stood behind her. "Alan darling, come here a minute"

A large balding man in sandals and socks turned slowly and shuffled over, seeming more interested in his map of the theme park rides. The lady turned back to him again.

James squeezed my hand, looking down briefly to meet my bewildered gaze.

"Alan look please" The lady asked the man "tell me you recognise this lady?"

I shifted on my feet uncomfortably, and looked up to James for help. He just shrugged his shoulders and mouthed "Sydney?"

Her husband looked me over, his eyes near popped from his head.

"Oh god Carol. It is. It's Sydney Presley"

He pointed at me like I was the crypt keeper and got out his phone.

"Knew it" She announced, clasping her hands to her head and turning in a circle like she had just won a competition and was dazed.

I stepped forward, dropping James hand. I realised she was quite obviously mistaken, and thought I was someone else. "I'm sorry, you've got the wrong girl. My name is Sam. I have never even heard of a Sydney"

In the back of my mind though, I was beginning to feel nauseas. Could it be, that she does recognise me...from before I even remember myself.

"No, you are. You're Sydney Presley" she says louder now.

Panic rises in my throat. I excuse myself to James, and walk as fast as I can to the nearest rest room. I lean over the sink, my heart threatening to burst from my chest. I splash cool water onto my face.

"Stay calm Sam, stay calm" I repeat like a mantra until I don't feel like passing out anymore.

She appears then,in the doorway. She looks at me, pausing briefly, to speak into a cell phone, and then she's suddenly reaching forward and pushing the cell phone into my hands. I look blankly at her, and my hands begin to shake.

"You're going to want to take this sweetheart"

With shaking hands I hold the phone up to my ear.

"Syd?" a female voice on the other end of the phone asks.

"I'm sorry" I apologise "No, that's not me" I explained again. "Who is this?"

The woman on the other end began to sob.

"Your wife!"