Chapter Seven

Present day

Amber stood at the bathroom mirror, her face showing evidence of the pain. Tear marks covered her cheeks and after each attempt at covering them with makeup a fresh set would fall.

"Damn it" she shouted with frustration.

Marie sat perched on the end of the bed. She was now in her dark shorts, and the black lace top from the clubbing the night before. Her fingers currently popping each button into place over her cleavage. Her dark hair was now brushed back into place, shoulder length and silky. She had never seen Amber cry, let alone lose it, and it felt wrong to watch her like this, like she shouldn't be witness to it.

"Are you really going to Paris?" she quietly questioned. Her eyes full of angst.

Amber pulled her golden brown locks back into a ponytail. "Of course I'm going. I need to see her"

"She told you she's not Sydney. She doesn't want to see you!"

Amber's anger and frustration grew more apparent as she slammed her bathroom essentials into her bag.

Marie stood and came to Amber's side. She slid her fingers into Ambers, and for a moment she responded warmly. Her shoulders began to become less tense, but then as if back to reality she let go of Marie's hand.

Marie stood behind her, looking into the mirror in front of them. She knew she could lose her to this girl. It was like a knife to the heart.

Amber met her gaze in the mirror. "I'm sorry. I have to do this. You must understand I have to go at least see if it's her. She's my wife Marie."

Marie leaned into her shoulder and nodded. "I know"

Amber felt guilty for bringing Marie into this situation. She had never meant to get this close with her or anyone else.

"Can I suggest something" Marie asked.

Amber nodded at her.

"Could I come with you?"

"To meet my wife?"

"Yeah, I mean I'm your best friend" Marie said, knowing full well this was beyond any friendship she had ever known. Still if that's what she had to do to stay with Amber, she would go.

"You're not my best friend! Rachel and Drew are my best friends" Amber retorted.

"Rubbish, you haven't seen Drew in over a year, and didn't she come onto you or some shit"

Amber knew that to be true, and she had since pushed Drew away like everyone else. She only had her Mom, Rachel and Marie who she deemed close to her. If Drew hadn't tried it on with her that night, then she would have still had her to talk to too. Damn Drew! Sydney would be horrified.

"Okay, you can come, but as my friend, nothing else. I just can't think of anything else but getting to Paris to see Sydney."

"Deal" Marie high fived her in the mirror.

"I'll go get packed. When's the flight? Have you booked hotels?" Marie asked.

"I've booked the hotel that Carol told me they are staying at. They are there for a week. The flights in four hours, so I'll meet you there. Terminal five, Gate twenty two to Paris"

"Great, meet you there... remember your passport okay?" She leaned in and kissed Amber on the cheek. "See you soon"

Marie walked towards the apartment door and grabbed her heels and bra from the oak floors on the way out. She turned and smiled and shut the door with a click.

Amber deflated onto the bed, a mess of emotions all running around in her head. Her bags were packed for Paris and she had her credit cards and passport all folded away in her purse.

She fondled her phone in her hand and thought about phoning her Mother, but she didn't want to worry her about Sydney in case all of this was just a mistake. So she unlocked the phone and she text her.

A- Going on a little holiday for work, to Paris. I'll be back in a week, don't worry, and yes it's me. This is not a serial killer pretending to be me. LOVE YOU xx A"

She stood and walked to her spare room, it was only a little box room, one that she had always kept her junk in. Inside was an Aladdin's cave of memories of her past with Sydney. She sat down in the small space between the boxes and fumbled through a pink box marked Albums. This entire room was what was left of the years they had together. One little room that she could not empty nor could she get rid of anything inside of it. Not for want of trying. She had wanted to move on but it was always impossible to throw anything away when push came to shove. She even had a box of Sydney's clothes that she kept sealed shut. Every time she opened it she could smell her, like she was stood right next to her. Her distinctive perfume floated through the air. It always brought a tear to Amber's eyes. She had slept with a pair of Sydney's favourite T shirts for the first year she was gone. She had even slept with her favourite green silk scarf wrapped around her wrist, it had a strong scent that she could inhale as she fell to sleep. They became a comfort blanket of sorts. She was close at one point to recreating Syd out of clothes and laying them out next to her, but she felt it was verging on creepy. Instead she kept them sealed away to preserve everything. Inside those boxes it felt like Sydney was still alive.

She pulled out a little green soft velvet photo album. As soon as she opened it a flood of memories coursed through her veins.