why we fight

frost

Frost assisted Lorelei Hamilton as she spent hours cleaning dishes, countertops and chopping boards.

     Shari had gone home for the rest of the weekend so that she could spend the rest of the holiday with her five or six daughters. He and Ms Hamilton kissed her goodbye, although it was clearly it was out of character for her seeing as Shari looked so surprised. Later, in almost a desperate plea not to bump into Mr Red, Frost asked to jump in on this.

     He wasn't particularly fond of Lorelei, but anything was better than facing Nicholas Red's wrath, even the prospect of being hit on by his girlfriend's mother.

     Which was she was doing splendidly well, forever trying to make him see the worst in her daughter and the best in herself. He had no clue how she could do that, what in the world had made her resent Lily so much?

     "Frost, darling, may I make you a proposition?" She suddenly came out with as she twisted on her heel and faced him. Her beautiful blue eyes drilled through him like ice, they were too much like Violet's, it made him shudder. However, not wanting her to think he was repulsed, he nodded lightly.

     She laughed forcefully, an unnerving sound that seemed far too rehearsed. Whatever she had in her head she'd been thinking about it perhaps all night.

     "I will write a twenty thousand dollar check in your name if you leave right now." She said firmly, meeting him at the sink.

     He prevented his mouth from dropping open. She was offering him money... but what could it possibly be for?

     Once he quickly re-evaluated it through in his head, he knew what it was before she carried on.

     "I'm not going anywhere, Lorelei." He said, surprisingly calm as he stacked the dishes and dried his hands, scowling so hard he wanted her head to explode. "I care about your daughter and I anticipate on being with her for a very long time."

     With each word that he verbalized, her severely shaped eyebrows rose further into her forehead. Then, once he was done, she erupted into a fit of laughter. It was unnerving, it sounded like an animated witch's laugh.

     "You've got to be joking me, dear! You care about her?" She wiped salty tears from her face with the sleeve of her shirt and slapped her thigh, as if he'd been trying to be funny.

     Frost cocked his head. Man, she was disturbed something rotten. Didn't she want Lily to be happy? If not, then what kind of mother was she?

     "This is not a laughing matter, Lorelei."

     "But it should be! Such a fine man like yourself cannot settle for her, she's broken."

     She may be broken, but she's not totally impervious to repairability anymore, he thought. When they first met she reeked of anger and pity, two of the many reasons he kept pursuing her. Since he hadn't give up on her then, there was no chance he was going to change his mind now.

     He'd never felt this way about a girl before, nobody else had this kind of influence on him. Lily didn't just make him feel like a better person, she made him a man.

     So, why had he drove her away? He'd made her feel like she had to choose between her best friend and boyfriend. It wasn't a half-decent thing for him to do. After all she'd done for him, this was how he repaid her?

     He'd made a horrible mistake.

     "Excuse me, Lorelei, but I have to speak with Lily." He muttered lowly as he dried his hands and sorted his hoodie. It stank of many years of fear and sadness, rage mixed with blood and tears.