aftermath

The boy wandered the school grounds, fists clenched by his side, a red (and very much dead) rose in his clasp. The thorns punctured his palm and blood was clearly visible, but there was no pain for him; he hadn't been able to feel pain in a very long time. He tried not to think about it as he walked on, headed for the headmistress's office. As he passed the other students, their stares were heavy and cautious.

          He came upon a girl, who smiled smugly and gave him a wave. She wasn't friendly, but he knew they would never be apart.

          But before he could move any further, she decidedly stalked over to his side, struggling to keep the pace. She could've easily been beautiful, if it wasn't for the sour look she never stopped wearing.

          "So, did you really do it?" She pouted her glossed lips in the air, squinting at the rain clouds that were starting to form above them. She pressed a skeletal hand to his pale and cold skin. "Did you?" She spoke quieter now.

          He glared at her, he didn't have the patience to suffer her right now. She was attention-seeking, needy and frankly, quite aggressive.

          And he couldn't help thinking that this was all somehow her fault.

          "I did."

          He shrugged her off then, leaving her all alone – and dumbstruck – in the courtyard. He couldn't think about her any longer when the headmistress's office came into view.

          He swallowed and couldn't help wondering what was going to happen to him once she saw the rose. It had been done, the only person who only had to worry about it hereafter was him. He had been assigned a mission... and now it was complete, despite how much he honestly regretted it.

          He exhaled a long breath he didn't even know he was holding before he turned the doorknob, already able to hear the woman humming to herself. She never came out of her office, not even for food or sleep. All hopes of her never having to praise him disappeared.

          Closing the decaying door firmly shut behind him, he catapulted the bloody rose at her.