the slaves

krista

It was the day of the Halloween party and as I stared into Marisol's vanity mirror, I had to compliment myself on my craftsmanship. I made the costume myself, with my roommate's help, of course. I couldn't do it all on my own!

     I donned a simple, figure-hugging white dress and silver sandals. An angel wasn't my original idea (it was a witch because I remembered Frost telling me he thought I was one when we met), but I liked the new settlement a lot better. I wore no dark colors, even my make-up was its usual boring self, the only reason I didn't look washed out was from my silver wings. I wound a thin line of wire on my headband like I had a silver halo. I think I looked cute.

     When I claimed finality, Violet popped her head up from her keyboard and fidgeted comfortably in her seat. I was all too willing to flatter her tonight, especially since she actually did look hot in her black bodysuit. She thought the idea of being Catwoman was ironic. I didn't know why, but those were her exact words.

     She examined me all over with heavy eyes. Getting up from her chair, she rummaged around in her drawer.

     "Did I forget something?" I asked unsurely, wondering what she was looking for. For the past couple of days she'd returned to her ordinary self, every word she said to me dripped with acrimony and disdain. I hated to know how she felt about me.

     She came out of her personal drawers with a bow and a bag full of arrows. Telling me to turn around, she strapped them onto my back and then we were both gazing into the mirror together, our eyes never lingering in the same place for any longer than two seconds.

     She was as close to me as she'd ever been, it was surreal. She must know how much I wanted her to tell me she liked me, even in the slightest. Yet, I was too much of a coward to ask.

     "It's still not complete yet. Wait there."

     As if I was going anywhere. The bow and arrows did complete the look, no doubt, so... what else was there to contribute?

     She picked up a pocket knife from her desk and came to me. What was she doing?

     Before I could protest, she had a handful of my dress in one hand and then slashed the blade right through the length of it with another. I was too shocked to scream as she took it all the way up my thigh, just short of my hip. She then ripped the knife sheath from her own suit and tightened it round my thigh. I looked less like an angel now and more or less a prostitute, the dagger being my line of defense.

     Although I wasn't completely thrilled with what she'd done to my dress, I felt sexier with a weapon handy. I knew Frost would be unable to resist.

     I didn't only look gorgeous, but dangerous as well. Therefore, if any more creatures like Mr Rodriguez and the werewolf came anywhere in my proximity, then they'd have another thing coming this time. I wasn't going to succumb to their stupid torture.

     "You'll have to be brave, Goth, if you want to survive the night." Violet smirked at the finishing touches.

     Uncertain of what she meant, I rubbed my lips together whilst running my fingers through my hair. I didn't recall it being so smooth before... or so blonde.

     "Violet, where is Marisol?"

     She shrugged, then held a finger to her chin, her gaze wandering elsewhere. I gathered it was her way of thinking. After about ten seconds, we heard the culprit in the hallway, laughing along with some other girls.