enemy

krista

I said goodbye to Marisol (Violet disappeared as soon as assembly was out to meet 'some guy') on my way to my first class, horticulture. Of course, I stupidly bumped into someone, but mainly because I was absorbed in my own thoughts.

Textbooks fell from our clutches and dispersed all over the floor. I rapidly knelt down to clean them up, but a hand on mine made my breath catch.

I met large glistening green eyes, I couldn't find the correct way to describe them. My mom probably would've called them 'dazzling', but I felt like I was lost in total paradise, waving through tall grass or perhaps in a forest. His face had laugh lines around his full lips, it was entrancing. His dark brown hair was long, messy and shaggy, just coming below his shoulders.

  "I can get them for you." He said, charming me with a smile.

The blush that spread my cheeks could've probably been seen from the furthest distance.

  "Thanks." I muttered lowly as we both stood. He handed my book and files back to me, his eyebrows raising at the load.

"That's far too much for a new student to catch up on." He exclaimed, examining the spines for hints of what I was studying.

I searched him. What was it about me that let others know I was new here? Did I have that innocent look on my face or something?

"Um, how did you know?" I didn't want to look into those eyes, knowing they'd just entrap me, so I tucked my hair behind my ear and decided to focus my attention on anything else.

He chuckled.

  "Don't tell anyone, alright, but I know every face in this building. I haven't seen yours before, so it was kind of obvious. Besides," His voice dropped a octave lower as he leaned in closer. "You look like you stepped onto the wrong set."

Did I? Did it show that much? I swallowed to prevent myself from stuttering as I opened my mouth to form the right words.

  "Well, that is evidently true."

  "I like you, you use big words." We both laughed and he gave me another spine-tingling smile. He offered his hand, teeth blindingly white. "I'm Brad."

"Krista." I accepted his proposal and I twitched when I felt a jolt of electricity buzz in my veins. It went through my gloves and straight into my skin, I could feel it, something lingered there.

"Ah, the celebrity of the school already. I've heard a few rumors about you, all different types of disturbing things. Of course, I know better than to trust any of them." When I groaned, he laughed enchantingly. "I take it you're not exactly thrilled about them either?"

I shook my head firmly, holding my textbooks closer to my chest. I hated a lot of these people already. What was it about me that people suddenly felt like they had to make up?

  "Yeah, some of them are eccentric."

Smiling again, he walked me to my class, telling me I was brave to take horticulture. It was a grueling class, apparently, the notes were long and the work had to be done swiftly. I was fortunate, I was a quick writer and I coped well under pressure, at least that's what my tutor said

When I told him about my tutor, he gave me an interested look. What it was I said, I didn't know, so I grilled him to confess.

"So... you haven't been to school before, not even a private one?" He said, slowing down to meet with my pace. I hadn't even realized it.