Chapter 35

“The Rented Husband”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 35

    As soon as Brody stepped off of the elevator, he spotted Cane and headed straight for him.  The man that he met earlier that morning was bent down, talking with a security guard. The guard seemed to be dazed and confused while holding an ice pack against the back of his head. Approaching the two of them, he noticed that it just so happened to be the same security guard, the one that Olivia and him had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting in the not so happy nun's room.

    “Have you heard from Olivia?” he hastily interrupted, trying to hide the desperation in his voice. . 

     Cane and the security both looked up at him..  “You again,” the security guard belowed, his mouth thinning  “I should’ve known that you and that wife off yours would somehow have something to do with this.”

    Body chose to ignore him and focused on Cane. “Well have you?” he asked again, this time not bothering to mask his concern.

    “No,” Cane said cautiously, “Why would I?" He asked cautiously.  "I thought she was with you."

    “Damn!”  Brody cursed, hearing the very words that he didn't want to hear.  Turning around, he ran his hand through his hair releasing a disgruntled moan.  Staring out the front doors of the lobby,he silentedly prayed that the feeling in his gut was wrong.  Feeling his shoulders slump, he turned to face Seth and dropped his hand to his side.  “I bet you anything that she is here.”

    “Who’s here?” Cane questioned while glancing back and forth between Brody and Seth.  Something was going on.  The picture that was being painted before him wasn’t looking very pretty and he had this unsettling feeling  that something was seriously wrong.

    “Patton,” Brody gritted through his teeth, still stunned that she was the one.  “Seth just secured some video footage from back home. Patton bought the disposable phone at a small store in the courthouse that Olivia and I work at.  She used that same phone to send the threatening text to her and we both agree that she is probably Olivia’s stalker.”

    “Who is Olivia’s stalker?” Ted questioned, catching the tail end of the conversation.  He eyed everyone before settling his gaze on Seth.  He was getting more anxious by the second and needed to see his daughter. 

    “Patton Woodock! She is Judge Woodock’s daughter,” Brody pointed out, frustrated that all they were doing was standing around  talking.  “She was an intern down at the office briefly and we believe that she may be the one stalking Olivia."  Pausing for a breath, he met Ted's steely gaze.   "Can we stop with the questions now and actually do something?”  His impatience was beginning to get the best of him.  He had to find Olivia and standing around in the lobby like a knot on a log  wasn’t going to get it done.

    “Where’s Olivia at anyway?” Ted asked, finally realizing that she wasn’t anywhere to be seen. 

    Brody growled in frustration, throwing his hands up in the air.  “That’s what I keep trying to tell everyone.  She's missing.”

    Ted stepped up to Brody, so close that when he spoke, his hot breath lashed across his nose.  “What in the hell do you mean she's missing? She’s your wife and your supposed to be watching out for her.” Ted all but yelled as he pushed his muscled body into Brody’s chest, knocking him off balance.  “Where in the hell is my daughter you nim-wit?"

    “Guys,” Seth interceded, stepping between them while using his hands to separate them, “This is getting us nowhere.  We  have to think about this logically. if we‘re going to find her..”  He turned to Ted and gestured towards the security guard.  “First off, what happened to him?”