Chapter 27

**Edited by krisgee**

“The Rented Husband”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 27

                “Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in.”

                Cane Murray turned around and shot his brother-in-law a shit-eating grin.  “Hello yourself,” he smirked.  Turning, he whispered some words to his wife and she playfully smacked him in the back of the head before leaving him for the other women.

                 “Oh, now I see,” Seth noted humorously, “Who really wears the pants in your family.”

                Cane glanced over his shoulder at the gorgeous woman that he had shared his bed with for the last ten years.  She held his heart and he wasn’t the least bit worried about who knew that either.  “Damn straight,” he agreed.  “I know who the boss is.”

                Seth grinned and slapped Cane on the shoulder, “Yup, I do too and she reminds me of that fact daily.”  The two men laughed out loud together, earning them a few curious stares from the women before quieting down. 

                Cane cleared his throat and composed himself.  “So,” he said turning more serious, “Who is this yahoo that I hear married my sister?”

                 “Well,” Seth said, looking a mite more uncomfortable, “I’m still trying to figure that one out.”

                Cane narrowed his stone grey eyes on his brother-in-law.  Just yesterday he received an earful from his father about this O’Connor guy and knowing Seth since his own college days, he would have thought that he would already know everything about the guy right down to the fact of whether or not he wore boxers or briefs.  Seth was just that good so his statement didn't make any sense.

                 “What do you mean you’re still trying to figure it out? Is something wrong?”

                Seth pursed his lips.  “Not necessarily with him.  His background has come back squeaky clean.  He was somewhat of a ladies’ man in the past but other than that…. he seems genuine enough.”

                 “So…,” Cane urged, “What’s the problem and don’t lie to me, I can see that something is bothering you - it’s written all over your face.”

                Seth let out a frustrated breath.  After putting two and two together the night before, he had not been able to stop thinking about it.  He didn‘t say anything to Ashley and was damn sure not going to say anything to Ted yet - at least until he knew for sure what was going on himself.  But Cane was easy-going and for a while there, he was the only one in the family that Olivia would confide in.  If anyone could understand her motives, it would be him.  “It’s more your sister than him I think.”

                Cane stared back at him with shocked eyes.  “You think?  What the hell is that supposed to mean?”  

                 “It's hard to explain and I don't think that this is the time or place for it.” 

                 “Alright,” he drawled out carefully while taking in the friends and family members scattered around the room.  Seeing that most everyone was occupied doing one thing or the other, he angled his head towards the door.  “Come on, we need to talk.”

                Seth nodded in agreement.  He glanced over at his wife who was talking animatedly with her sister and Cane’s wife.  “Let’s go.”