Chapter 6

***Edited by Adelina Clonts aka SeaWriter***

“The Rented Husband”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 6

“You have got to be kidding me,” Olivia stated flatly as she stared back at a flustered looking Brody.

Less than an hour ago he couldn’t get out of her office fast enough and now he was back, standing in her doorway larger than life and has the nerve to ask her of all people for a proposition of his own. Who the hell does this guy think he is? He made her look like an utter fool for crying out as she practically begged him to put on being a husband; her husband. She even offered him money for Pete’s sake, like he was a slab of fresh meat that could be bought and used.

Man, Olivia mused, I might as well purchase my own ticket for the crazy train and ride it with the rest of my family for actually considering renting a husband in the form of Brody O' Conner just to get them off my case.

Taking a step back, Olivia narrowed her eyes on the dark haired handsome man standing before her.

“No—Thank you,” she told him in a very calm and collected voice. It was a much different sounding voice than the desperate pleading tone she had used with him earlier. Not wanting to deal with him any longer than absolutely necessary, Olivia pasted a fake smile on her face. “Nice talking to you,” she stated and promptly went to shut the door in his face, but Brody was quick on the draw and stuck his monster size foot in the way to block it.

She lifted her eyes to Brody and arched a brow. “Do you mind?” she asked, pointing at his foot which so obviously remained in her way.

Brody smirked. She was most certainly riled up something fierce and for some odd reason he found her to be rather adorable in this state with her face set just so. It was the wrinkled forehead and the slightly curved mouth pouting into an almost perfectly shaped “O”, neither of which went unnoticed by him. He could almost see himself kissing her succulent lips.

That would have to wait until later though, he told himself. Right now he needed a wife and fast, preferably, Ms. Olivia Murray.

Crossing his hands over his chest, Brody stepped forward pushing his larger than life body into her office. “As a matter of fact, I do mind,” he said challengingly.

Olivia hesitated and took a few steps back. “Well...l,” she stuttered and then stumbled awkwardly on the edge of the expensive Persian rug she had purchased a few months back on one of her splurging whims.

“Damn it!” she cursed and looked up at Brody with fire in her eyes. If looks could kill, Brody was sure that he would be dead right about now.

“Well, get over it,” she snapped. “I have things to do and people to see,” she added as she tried to shoulder past him. “None of which involve you“.

Brody stuck his hands out and grasped her shoulders pulling her to a halt. “Not so fast, Missy, I patiently listened to your proposition. I think you should at least give me the same courtesy.”

Olivia lifted her head, cheeks flushed and nostrils flaring out wide. She looked like a baby wildcat ready to scratch his eyes out right about now. “Excuse me, Counselor; I don’t have to do a damn th--,”

Brody wanted to grin but thought better of it considering the situation. Instead, he held his hands up, palms facing out in a surrender-like gesture cutting her off mid-sentence. “Will you please just shut up, Liv, and hear me out for a minute?”