Chapter 9

**Edited by Adelina Clonts aka Seawriter**

"The Rented Husband"

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 9

"Good Morning Ms. Murray," Grey Black, one of the firm’s notable security guards spoke as she entered the building.He was a middle aged man with a head full of salt and pepper colored hair and he forever seemed to wear a brilliant smile on his face.He was always in that same exact spot every day and had greeted her in the same manner morning after morning since her first day on the job.No matter how bad or tired she felt, his smile never failed to warm her.

She offered him a weak smile of her own in return before replying, “Good morning Grey.How are the kids?”

Grey beamed at the mention of his kids.His wife lost her battle with breast cancer just a little over a year ago and he has been raising their seven year old twin daughters as a widower ever since.“There doing fine, Ms. Murray.Lisa just won the third grade spelling bee at her school and Leary sang like a beautiful song bird in Church last Sunday.”

“That’s wonderful.Those two girls truly are special,” she told him genuinely and heard Grey let out a soft sigh of sadness.She could see the toll of his wife’s death written all over his face and wished that she could do something to magically make those worry lines disappear.But short of giving him his wife back there wasn’t much she,or anyone else for that matter,could do.

Grey read the sympathy in Olivia’s eyes.“Ms. Murray, don’t you go worrying about me.Me and the kids are doing just fine.It’s hard sometimes but we meander through.You-,” he told her and pointed at her chest, “need to worry about yourself.You don’t look like you slept a wink last night.”

Olivia quickly averted her eyes.If someone like Grey Black could pick on her lack of sleep then surely Brody O’Connor would too.Her stomach took a funny dip at the thought of him just knowing that she had trouble sleeping last night.That little fact would probably go to his head and swell up that already over sized ego that he was currently sporting.

Never mind the fact that it was the cold hard truth.She tossed and turned, threw the covers off of her and then jerked them back on, all because of him.....But it would be a cold day in hell before she would let Brody know that.

"You need to bring the girls by the office sometime for me to see them again," Olivia said softly when she turned back to Grey.This time she gave him a sincere smile and was thankful for the change of subject.She was determined to think of anything today other than the precocious Brody O'Connor.

"I will Ms. Murray.In a week they will be on break and I'll bring them by to see you."Olivia switched her brief case from one hand to the other, already feeling the beginnings of a migraine as she thought ahead to the day’s events; lunch with her sister Ashley, dinner with Brody's mother and then the inevitable interaction with Brody himself.All she had to do was survive the day, she reminded herself and tonight she would sleep, come hell or high water, mindless of one certain dark haired player.

"Good," Grey said, bringing Olivia's full attention back to him."Oh, and by the way,Ms. Murray, they tried to trace that call for you yesterday but came up empty.It came from a disposable phone so there was no way to identify the caller."

Olivia simply shrugged her shoulders."That's what I figured.More than likely it was a bunch of kids getting their kicks by making prank calls.My number just so happened to be the lucky one that they dialed."

Grey furrowed his brows and looked at Olivia with nothing but fatherly concern."Maybe, maybe not,Ms. Murray.You just be careful ma'am.There are too many weirdos out there in today's world and that's just a damn shame, but it's the truth."