Chapter 21

**Edited by krisgree***

“The Rented Husband”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

 Chapter 21

                After the elevator door closed, Olivia stared dumbly at the numeric buttons and said a few choice words to herself when it suddenly dawned on her that she had no idea which floor her sisters were on. 

                Fully agitated, she massaged her temples with both hands and wished that for just once, something in her life could be simple.  Everything nowadays was always complicated and she was getting sick and tired of complications.  They were becoming a real pain in her hiney end.

                Especially one particular complication that walked with a confident gait and a sexy as sin swagger.  One who also had the ability to charm the skin off of a snake. 

                More specifically, a complication named Brody O’Conner.

                And by no means was she ready to deal with him right now.  Possibly not ever.  He was like one of those taboo subjects that you just didn't want to touch with a ten foot pole. 

                It all started back at the beach.  While everyone laughed and played shuffleboard as if they didn't have a care in the world, Olivia had an epiphany of sorts.  One that revealed certain things that she was by far not ready for - things that made her feel damn near uncomfortable.

                Things such as tenderness, affection and yearning. 

                And then there was the big one…need.

                Need…

                It was the incessant need that really rattled her cage.  She had never needed anyone or anything before in her life other than her own hard fought independence.  Gaining that had been challenge enough but a challenge that she eventually overcame. 

                But this need that she was feeling right now was different.  It was the basic need of a woman wanting for a man and that scared the crap out of her.  It was unacceptable on so many different levels that she could hardly think straight. 

                She refused to need anyone; especially not a man and most especially not Brody O’Conner.  That realm was a definite no-go gray area that she had no intention of broaching.

                The elevator came to an abrupt stop on the twenty fourth floor.  The doors opened and Olivia stepped out into an empty hall.  She looked to the left and then glanced to her right before letting her feet lead the way.  She had no idea where she was going now that all of these thoughts were running rampant in her head other than the fact it had to be as far away from Brody O'Connor as possible. 

                "Olivia?"

                She stopped and turned around towards the sound of the familiar voice.  Instantly, she gifted her brother-in-law with a genuine smile.  "Seth," she replied sweetly while loosely placing her hands on her hips.  "How are you?"

                Seth locked up his room and went to catch up with her.  "I'm fine," he responded in kind, "But where is that hubby of yours?" he asked, watching her with those damnable knowing green eyes of his.