chapter 20

My back stang painfully. I gasped and struggled to sit up straight. There was a hard strain in my belly. I could feel it rushing through me until it reached my neack. I began to choke and finalyy coughed up blood.

I took a quick breath and collapsed. The moss growing went inbetween my fingers and seeped into my nails.

"A-Adam.... Where are you...?" I sniffed heavily and closed my eyes. No-one could hear me... I was alone. A figure vaguely appeared at the corner of my eye. As my eyes became more blurred with tears, so did my hearing. But from what I could hear, the voice was a man's. Not any man. My... dad's...

"Brooklyn? Where is my Brooklyn baby? Brooklyn?!" The voice became less friendly, Dad's voice was screaming now. " WHERE ARE YOU?!" 

I shook my head. The voice was scary and louder than before.

"Get out or I'll have to get angry! Daddy isn't nice when he's angry.." He sounded like a monster, I half expected him to grow 50 feet tall and tower over me. Smack me over and over and roar in my face.

I clenched my stomach. I need to keep calm... I'm hallucinating... the fall was too hard on my head....

But the dream became more and more real, I could felt myself being sucked inside this dream... almost like I was back in a memory that had been forgotten... And now, remembered.

It had all started on a lovely Sunday. I was little, I think I was playing hide and seek. I so desperately wanted to win this time. I tore through the garden, gaining speed. The garden was plain. I would be found easily... I had to find somewhere good. I began to climb up the giant oak tree. There was a hole inside, it was hollow and big enough for me to fit in. I crouched inside it and grinned. "I'm going to win this time daddy..." I would whisper to myself every few minutes.

Hours past, No-one found me. I smiled in pride. Daddy hadn't found me! More hours went by, my tummy rumbled and I grew restless. But I carried on. Then I heard dad's voice. It wasn't full of laughter and joy. It was angry and bitter. "Brooklyn! Come down here... NOW!"

I shook my head. "You've got to find me!" I sang. I clapped my hands. "Let's play hot and cold. " I looked at where he was going. "OK... Your're getting warmer... warmer... cold! Really cold!"

Dad yelled. "Brooklyn! You're cheek is going to be very hot if you don't come down!"

I still laughed. "Silly daddy! You're not even close!"

That's when he turned around. He ran down the path and began to try and climb  up the tree. He couldn't get up. I roared with laughter. His cheeks puffed red. He violently rubbed sweat from his forehead. "Naughty! You stupid children are all the same! Need discipline. COME DOWN HERE NOW!"

I stayed silent and unmoveable. Dad screamed. He shook at the tree until it began to sway back and fourth. I screamed too as I lost balance inside the hole. Suddenly, I was falling.. falling... and then... I was on the ground. Dad stood over me and pulled me up by the hair. He raised his hand and began to slap me over and over...

And then I woke up. Two people were crouched by me. A crowd had formed in the streets and exchanged faces of despair and worry. I slowly sat up. There was an ambulance. And two short men came with a stretcher. They came and placed me on it.  He leaned over and wiped my head with a damp tissue. His eyes went down and looked at my stomouch. "Pregnant are you?"

I nodded. Life was hell.