chapter 9

When we stepped in I gasped heavily. It looked like a celebrity kitchen and the living room was filled with painting and luxuries.

He'd repainted the walls a smooth vanilla colur, and illuminated the walls with jasmine scented candles. He tapped my back. " Well? How does it look?"

My mouth hung open. I stroked the velvet couches and ran my finger against the tables. I looked out the window and saw the bright suns rays shower on roof tops. He sat m down and placed Lucy on my lap. I was curious. When did he get a child?

"Um...so is this your child?"

Adam hesitated. He was uncomfortable, I could tell. "Never mind..." I quickly said.

He carried on fidgeting but suddenly spoke. "I dated this girl in university. Kia. She was really nice. We planned out our lives together."

I stroked Lucy's hair as he spoke. I looked at her her as she stared intensly at the bowl of weet on the coffee table. "Carry on." I encouraged.

"Okay, Well, it was the night before our graduation and..we got drunk and, we did stuff."

I immediatly knew what he meant. "Go on... Then what happened?"

He scratched hard at his head." I'm a coward. So I didn't call her at all after "It" happened. Then one day, I heard a banging on the door... It was Kia."

I nodded.

"A-And... she threatened to sue me. I asked her why. Then she shoved this picture in my hand and told me to look at it. It was out baby. I'd gotten her pregnant. I begged her not to sue if I paid child support and took care of Lucy on Mondays and Wednesdays."

"And? Then what?" I snapped.

" So, one day. Whilst  Lucy was with me. I suddenly got a call. It was Kia's mum. She was all shaken by something and had an edge to her voice. Just as I was about to ask her what was wrong, there was a bang on the door. It was the police."

I ran my fingers through Lucy's hair. Adam sniffed and then carried on. Quieter.

" And they said Kia was dead. She'd killed herelf. Taken an overdose on sleeping pills. And drowned in the bath. She didn't want a life where he had nothing to live for. I wrecked her life. She had so many dreams. She wanted to be a photograper."

I looked at his face. He was sad. I stiffened my shoulders. I would lighten the mood.

"Oh well" She's taking photo in heaven now."

Adam shot up. Me and Lucy shook. We gasped as the coffee table toppled over. The glass bowl fell and shattered into bits. Tiny sweets rolled into corners. He pointed his finger at me. "You don't understand! GET OUT!"