Chapter 6: Eighteenth Birthday

…two days after…

Tyler’s POV

“Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Tyler, happy birthday to you.” Two familiar voices woke me up. I fluttered my eyes open and saw mum and dad with gleeful smiles on their faces holding a cake covered with chocolate icing. My favorite!

Yes, today is my birthday. My eighteenth birthday if I may correct. Then memories from yesterday and the other day flooded back in my head. The audition, dinner with cousins, pool party with the Williamsons and last night, barbecue with Ian and my parents at our backyard. I swear those were two of the most epic days I have. I wonder what’s in store for today since it’s my birthday.

“Mummy, daddy, thank you!” I exclaimed as I each gave them a hug. I glanced at the time and it was already 9 am.

“Come on, sweetheart. Blow your candles!” dad exclaimed making me laugh. And so I did, and both of them cheered. I have the most wonderful parents in the whole universe! Even though they’re busy they never fail to make me smile and they would always have time for me.

“I hope you’ll have a wonderful day my dear. Come, let’s have breakfast downstairs.” Mum said as she kissed my forehead. Once they walked out the door I squealed under my pillow with a huge smile on my face.

“I’m finally eighteen!!”

***

After I took a shower I wore a loose shirt and some shorts before walking downstairs in the dining room. As I was about to get inside someone barked and before I knew it my butt fell on the floor.

“Princess!” I laughed as she licked my face. She must’ve knew today’s my birthday.

“She knows it’s your birthday.” A familiar voice laughed. I looked up and it was Ian holding Princess’ leash.

“Oh hey Ian.” I greeted as I finally managed to sit up and put Princess on my lap.

“Don’t just ‘Oh hey Ian’ me. Come here and give your old man a hug!” he exclaimed as he grabbed my hand and helped me stand up before I gave him a bone-crushing hug.

“Happy birthday you duckling.” He whispered on my neck and I laughed at the nickname he used to call me when we were little.

“Thanks dude. Come join us for breakfast.” I said as we finally let go. The two of us went inside the dining room and saw mum talking with someone while dad was eating.

“Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Andrews.” Ian greeted. Mum and dad looked up and smiled at us.

“Good morning Ian, I’m glad you made it.” Dad replied and I narrowed my eyebrows. “I’m glad you made it”?

“Wait, dad you invited Ian?” I asked as a smile grew on my lips. He just smiled and nodded before going back to eating.

“Cool.” I mumbled. Ian sat next to me and we started digging in.

While eating, I’ve been noticing mum grinning so big ever since we came inside the dining room. She was talking with someone; I’m just not sure who. She doesn’t usually grin that big when she talks with someone. Unless it’s something mum is so excited about.

“Wanna go for a walk in the park with me and Princess?” Ian whispered in my ear snapping me out of my thoughts. I smiled and nodded.

A couple of minutes passed and we finished eating breakfast. Ian and I said our goodbyes to mum and dad before we left for the park with Princess. It was a sunny January morning here in L.A. The sun finally came out of the clouds and its rays melted all the snow. Well, I guess winter season is done, which is pretty exciting. The roads were still wet because of the melted snow but I didn’t care. All I care is about my day today. I want to spend my birthday with loved ones, friends, and family. I don’t want anything or anyone to ruin this day. This day only comes around ONCE a year and I don’t want that to be ruined.