Chapter 32: The Peculiar Outrage

CONNOR’s POV

To Lose My Life by White Lies was blaring by the time I stepped out of the kitchen leaving Alain behind to look for his BFF while I look for mine. The loud thumping of the loud bass came from the three expensive speakers stood tall by the corner of the huge pool, smacked in the middle of the huge backyard. He would never cease to amaze me with his awesome party plans ever since I helped him out for his first one back in seventh grade.

I took one Red Bull can from the dozen-pack, feeling the coldness transferred onto the palm of my hands and moved my way across to the grassy part, there’s a little marquee erected for the party and close to it is the white wooden gazebo. There is a barbecue grill nearby but I don’t think this party is in need of its use unless during our yearly tradition of mid-winter bonfire. I’m really looking forward for that because this year we can each bring over our special someone for the awesome tradition and not just the two of us – Niesta would usually be busy and unavailable for the bonfire and Amanda is actually Freddy’s first official girlfriend.

       I could see Freddy standing under the gazebo chatting with his two henchmen, Sam and Miles and a few other dudes in the cool group. Most of them are from the team so I shouldn’t be worried too much. I used to be hanging out with them too. He’s drinking Coke from the bottle and he didn’t notice me walking towards him yet. I’ve been to this house so many times, I lost track of the count. Mr. Vandrick could easily passed off as my second father because of that and this wonderful house is like my second home but I’m more than blessed that I’m staying with Alain and his family now. I knew I couldn’t ask for a better, loving family than the Westerfeld.

Freddy’s my buddy for life. My best mate. That one dude who you could count on and trust for the rest of your life and I’m so freaking blessed I got Freddy as my bro. We don’t have any of those stupid bro code craps but we do have our own bromance moments. We would often have sleepovers here in this house back up until the end of our middle school years. We would always stick up for each other and it was super cool that he began to accept the fact that I’m in love with Alain unlike my hateful and deceitful dad…

He would even come up with some silly, crude jokes about boys liking boys back then when we’re smaller. I had to be admit that I was a bit ashamed I tagged along laughing at those mean, senseless jokes but we were just being childish so there wasn’t supposed to be so much hatred in our hearts back in those days. Then it struck me, I’m probably not fully gay. It’s just that I’m realizing the fact I’m so infatuated only with Alain and no one else. I might just be Alain-sexual or something like that. I smiled to myself, thoroughly amused for coming up with the term. Freddy would still make random jokes about me being with Alain but we would just laugh it out. He respects me just as much as I look up to him as the brother that I’ve always wished for. 

        I sauntered pass the dark pool, reflecting the starless sky above moving closer towards the gazebo. The water surface looked so serene and untouched before a few teenagers decided to jump in for fun. Thankfully, I walked a few feet away so the small splashes didn’t get to me. On my way to the gazebo, I stopped for a few seconds to pull open the can until the froth spilled a little from my hand to the ground and I wasn’t freaking out much, as long as it wasn’t alcohol. I personally don’t drink that much and I’m really glad that Alain is the same, even better he vowed never to touch one. He’s an undeniable saint in terms of social life, so drugs and booze would probably the least of stuff his parents would be worried about. Three girls whistled at me from the poolside and they looked like juniors, as they blinked at me with a slightly turned-on purr escaping from their mouths, all scantily clad in their revealing bikinis. Aren’t they freezing out here?