Chapter 5: Longing for L'Amour

ALAIN's POV

Being in detention wasn’t so bad after all. My four years in high school had shaped me to be mildly passive and law-abiding, yet now I’m in one of the least desirable places that I could go in the whole establishment. I never thought I would be this lucky though, especially in my senior year.

You are required to complete some tasks while under supervision of a detention teacher. It sure sounds a hell lot worse back when I was in sophomore year. I was thinking it would be more like a tormenting chamber with endless torture methods to make sure that those who attended would come out a better member of the community. Yeah, that sounds almost as reliable as a leprechaun with his pot o' gold. And once I heard from someone that all the bad broods who came here never came out! My poor heart was beating so fast from the absolute horror! What really happened to them? I mean don’t get me wrong but that sounded like a really sordid and twisted version of Hansel and Gretel! A horrible witch ate all of those troubled teenagers like she did to the famous siblings? Why would they even come up with scary stories like that in the first place?

Then there was this twisted rumour flying around that the detention teachers were mostly satanic cult members who kidnapped all the bad seed delinquents and chop them off into pieces and conducted rites with human sacrifices! I almost peed in my pants when I heard that. No shit! I used to block myself from those sorts of stupid rumors but facing off the real thing it became more daunting than I expected.

Now come to think of it like duh, what a huge bunch of lies! I could proudly say that out loud because I’m actually enjoying my time here, with Amanda and Audrey by my side. I also brought my homework along so I don’t feel so bored and pointless in here.

Though I wished I wouldn’t have to go through it at all. I wasn’t so keen and proud of myself to be here apart from the part where I was forced against my will. Oh, the good old days of being unknown and unnoticed! Yup, what’s a better way to kick start your senior year other than enjoying a fun, interactive time in the detention class right? Amelie would totally laugh her head off once she found out about this. Yes, something new she could slag off about me then yay!

Be prepared to be further humiliated, Alain. Not like she cared either. I glanced around the room, some of the students sent here look quite like normal students after all. Not that I'm judging in the first place. Everyone has their own problems so it's cool that way, only it’s a matter of how you express that anger and dissatisfaction. Okay Alain, enough with the observational ramblings...

                Yet I'd have to say that I learned so much today. The periods and lunch went by so quickly it felt like a distant past by now. I successfully blocked all the negative treatments and reactions thrown by the other students, something which I couldn’t have achieved without the help of Amanda and Audrey by my side. It really opened my eyes, not just on curricular stuffs but also the reality behind the group of students in this school. They weren’t all born to be rebellious and nasty and problematic. They’re just teenagers who are adjusting to the deplorable high school system in this godforsaken country.  Just like me. But I guess I have to deal with the fact I’m the only openly gay boy in school.

There were ten of us in detention right now. Four girls and six boys. And then there’s Miss Juergen, a sweet old lady in her late fifties with a rather out-dated sense of style. I pitied her more somehow as she surveyed each one of us intently through her horn-rimmed red glasses making sure that we're all in our best behaviour and then returned back to her reading. Two of the other sophomore girls apart from Audrey and Amanda were smoking by the window all the way back of the class, chatting between themselves in their gothic get-up and some extreme make-up. Maybe it was just a scream for attention? Poor girls…