" We Learn So Little From Peace "

The store was small .

Not ridiculously small , not entirely big .

Just somewhere in between .

He looked at one of the magazines , flipping throught the pages , eyes scanning nothing in particular .

Laughter made its way to his ears .

He looked up over the shelf .

A group of boys and girls sat in the video game area , playing .

Having fun . Ignoring the annoyed looks a few older people gave them .

He blinked .

He went back to scanning through the magazines .

Somehow , he slowly and unconciously , made his way around the store .

Soon ending up in the last few rows , where the store held the books .

No one ever read books anymore .

He brushed his fingertips over the covers , feeling the dents of the titles , never really reading them .

Never judge a book by its cover . He smirked .

He turned the corner , his heart clenching in his chest .

Her hair was unruly and free , just the way it had been when he'd first seen her .

Her back was to him , she was absorbed into the book she was reading .

So he thought .

He began to turn away , making as less noise as possible .

" It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace " .

Her voice , sticky sweetness .

She turned her upper body to face him , showing him the book in her hands .

" Its full of quotes . That one was by Chuck Palahniuk " .