I don't see dead people . . . Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Trees. Everywhere. Trees and the ground. The sky, barely visible with all of the branches in the way. Walking aimlessly, looking for a way out. Something watching. Looking around, a pair of yellow eyes, staring.

I woke up. Goddamn it! Out in the middle of fucking nowhere and I still can't be left alone. Shit! I checked my watch. 4:51 AM. It was way too early for this. I grabbed my gun, a water bottle, a switchblade, and a compass, unzipped the tent, and walked out.

Derek was outside, just staring at the moon. He's only 19, but he has a long history. He sort of keeps to himself and doesn't tell anyone anything, but you could see it in his eyes. Blonde hair, dark green eyes, nice body, this guy was a real catch, but I'd never seen him show interest in any girls. Or guys for that matter. He turned around when he heard me coming. "Hey, Mickey, where you headed?"

My name was Michelle, but everyone called me Mickey. "Just for a walk."

"Mick, there are animals in the woods. You could get hurt." I knew he was worried, but I wasn't going to let someone get killed because of me.

"Don't worry, Derek, I'm bringing the pistol," I said, and showed him the gun. He still had a worried look in his eye, but he nodded. My friends were used to me leaving in the middle of the night, but none of them knew the reason behind it.

I see dead people. Just kidding. Actually, I see people die. If someone nearby, in about a 10 mile radius, is going to die soon, I see their last minutes or seconds. When I was younger, it used to happen all the time. Back then, I didn't understand what it was. Eventually, I figured it out. I have the vision, either in my sleep of if I leave myself open to it, and then I can choose whether to save them or not.

But there's a catch. Besides walking into life threatening situations, if I do save them, I experience their death. I don't really die; it's just sort of an illusion or a dream. You know how sometimes if you dream, you can't remember it, but if you have a nightmare, you remember every detail? That's what it's like.

I walked into the trees. I didn't know who or where the person from my dream was, but I learned a while ago that if I left myself open and just trusted my instincts, I would feel a pull to a certain area. With the compass, I made sure I knew which way I was headed, so I would know how to get back. I walked for about an hour and a half when I heard it.

Tiny footsteps in the dead leaves. A little girl, about 8 years old, I saw in the distance through the trees. She had tears running down her face and was looking around everywhere. 'Trees. Everywhere. Trees and the ground.' I remembered this from my dream. She looked up. 'The sky, barely visible with all of the branches in the way.'

There was still some time. I walked toward her. "Hey," I whispered/yelled so I wouldn't attract any animals. She jumped, startled, and then ran toward me.

She started rambling in a little voice with a slight Hispanic accent. "I was on the trail with my mama and papa and my dog but I got mad and walked away then I got lost and it got dark-" I cut her off by putting a finger to her lips.

"You have to be quiet, okay? There are big animals around." She nodded. "What's your name?"

"Maria."

"Okay, Maria, I need you to listen to me." I took out the compass and showed it to her, "Do you know how to use this?"

She nodded. "Mrs. Johnson showed me in class."

"That's great. Now, I want you to keep going east. Hold it like this," I showed her, "and keep going straight. Make sure the needle stays on the 'N'. It'll take a while, but just keep going. My friends and I have a campsite there. They'll take you to your parents." I could feel eyes on us by now. 'Something watching.' "Make sure you move quietly, but quickly. Go, now. I can't come now but I'll meet you there later, okay?"