"Never. Stop. Running."

"Erm.." Thomas shook his head, he knew, somehow, that they were their names - but he didn't know why he knew. Or how he knew. And it was driving him insane, "Sorry, Minho's right, you don't know how the maze runs, or the sectors, or how to judge distance. We'll teach you, but for now you'd just slow us down."

"Wait, what?" Lydia asked incredulously, her eyes burning through him - there was something about her, he realised, something different. It was like a coil connected them, of fire, linking him to her. They must've been close, before, and somehow he missed that.

"The maze. Look, WICKED is still out there, we need to play the game. Run the sectors, fight our way out. There's only one rule in here.." Thomas looked at Minho, remembering the time he'd first uttered the words to Thomas - back then he'd been terrified, scared of everyone and everything, but now, now he was angry, "Never. Stop. Running."

"Woah, Tommy. You need to be careful." Newt interrupted, stepping forwards and pointing to his bandage, Lydia nodded along, and something in him squirmed. Her opinion mattered then, it mattered a lot.

"Being careful hasn't gotten us squat." Minho dismissed, shaking his head. Thomas fought back a laugh, watching as Newts frown deepened.

"I need to go, me and Minho are the only runners here." Thomas shrugged, "It can't be worse than anything else I've done."

Newt shook his head, his face a mixture of anger and awe. "What you've done is be half brave and half bloody stupid. Seems like you're pretty good at that."

Thomas smiled, a genuine thing - which caused Minho to do a double-take - and tuned to face Malia, who still had her chin set determinedly.

"If you're trying to scare me-" she started, and Thomas felt the need to look away. That defiance, that pure love, it was something so foreign, so pure, it was wrong. In a place of such greyness, he almost felt like he didn't deserve it.

"No, I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. All right? I'm scared, but I'd rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here. We don't belong here. This place isn't our home. We were put here. We were trapped here. At least out there, we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that." Thomas shrugged, pulling out the knife Minho gave him, "Trust me."

"Take me too." Scott, who'd stood off a little and had been mulling the conversation over, took a step forwards, eyeing Thomas with a little challenge, "You want us to trust you right? So trust us, trust me."

Thomas turned to Minho and shrugged, he trusted Scott - but he wasn't going to force that on Minho. Round here, trust was a difficult enough thing to get a hold of.

"I trust you shank." Minho shrugged, and brought out another knife - he made to throw it at Scott, but Scott stepped back, shaking his head, "Alright, your funeral."

"Minho." Thomas frowned, a joke like that could actually become truth around here.

"Don't die. You die and I kill you." Newt gave him a look, and turned to relay the same message to Minho.

Arms wrapped around him from behind, and he felt himself relaxing into it before it really registered, he didn't know how, but he knew it was Lydia.

"Stay safe." She demanded, as Thomas withdrew, he nodded his confirmation and walked over to Malia - who was looking at him as though she'd never seen him before.

"Shout if you need anything." Malia said, and Thomas smiled his thanks, turning to start the run with Minho and Scott - Malia yelling after his retreating back, "Anything at all!"