Chapter 5

Foxleap lay in the medicine den. His wound was still healing, and it ached. Foxleap cursed it for hurting. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he could've gone to the Gathering with Rosepetal. But if he hadn't helped Rosepetal, she might have been dead. He saw Brairlight haul herself towards Foxleap. Her legs had been crushed when she followed Longtail to the elders den before the tree landed. She lay down near him. "Are you all right?" She asked. Foxleap turned to look at her. "Yeah, I'm fine." Brairlight gave a smile. "I see how you look at Rosepetal." Foxleap blushed, but the good thing for him was that his fox red fur covered that. "You love her, don't you?" Brairlight pressed. Foxleap couldn't hold it anymore. "Yes." He meowed. Brairlight narrowed her eyes. "Do you know if she loves you back?" Foxleap shook his head. "Then you will never truly know unless you tell her." Foxleap mewed a response. "I-I've been trying to tell her but every time I try, I get interrupt by one thing or the other. It's almost like I pick the worst times to ask her." Brairlight shook her head. "Maybe. Or maybe you never try hard enough." The brown tabby sighed. "Back before my legs got crushed, I loved a cat. I thought we could have grown together and raise a family. Now, I want him to be happy, and I want him to have kits. If having kits makes him happy, then I'll be happy." There was rustling at the tunnel entrance. "Well, good night." She hauled herself back. Foxleap curled up in his nest. Tommorow, he would tell Rosepetal his feelings.