Chapter 4

Foxleap looked outside the den at the moon. It was rising outside, shining like the brightest star. Foxleap turned his head and saw Rosepetal doing the same. She was sitting near the warrior's den. Foxleap walked up to her, although his shoulder was still somewhat stiff. He sat next to her, and Rosepetal looked kind of surprised that he was there. 

   "I saw you looking at the moon.", he meowed. Rosepetal nodded and continued looking at it. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" Foxleap nodded and looked at it with her. Rosepetal sighed. "It would be nice to see it with a mate, if I had one." 

   Foxleap was kind of surprised that she brought up the subject of mates. Foxleap replied with, "I wish I had one too." He put his paw on Rosepetal's paw. The she-cat noticed. "D-do you have someone you like?", she asked quietly. 

   Foxleap could tell she was nervous. "Yes, I do." Rosepetal looked disappointed for a second, then Foxleap continued. "She's a cream she-cat, with bright green eyes that shine like all of StarClan.". Rosepetal looked lost at words. "D-do you mean Daisy?", she asked. 

   Foxleap shook his head gently. "Even if I did like Daisy, she's already had two mates: Smoky and Spiderleg. No, I lov-". He was interrupted by Firestar's call to the clan. "It's time to go to the Gathering clanmates." 

   Sandstorm was looking at him from the nursery. "Goodbye, Firestar. Cherrykit and Sunkit are fast asleep." Cherrykit was a bright ginger she-kit, an exact copy of Firestar, while Sunkit was a pale ginger tom, like Sandstorm. The two mates exchanged licks and Firestar, Jayfeather, Lionblaze, Dovepaw, Bumblestripe, Thronclaw, Ferncloud, Toadstep, and Spiderleg walked towards the camp entrance. 

   Rosepetal also had to go. She turned to leave, but halfway across camp, she shook her head as if she remembered something, then came back to the medicine den. She gave Foxleap a quick lick on the cheek, then returned to the group of Gathering cats. As she left, Foxleap felt a quick beat in his heart, but also a great emptiness. He, once again, had not been able to tell Rosepetal his feelings for her, and he wondered if he ever would.