Chapter 9

Foxleap was unable to move. Both happiness and surprise were clouding his thoughts. "A-are you sure?" He asked. Rosepetal nodded. "I wouldn't lie to you." Foxleap and Rosepetal sat down and nuzzled each other. "I love you, Foxleap."

-

Foxleap came back from the hunting patrol, alongside Bumblestripe and Dovewing. Foxleap told Bumblestripe the news, and Bumblestripe playfully nudged his old friend. Rosepetal could still carry on with warriors duties for a moon before joining the nursery alongside Sandstorm, Sorreltail, and Ferncloud. Foxleap carried his rabbit to the nursery, where Sorreltail and Sandstorm were dozing as Cherrykit, Sunkit, Lilykit, and Seedkit tumbled around camp. Ferncloud was grooming Milkkit's white fur, as she and Carpkit lay asleep. Foxleap dropped his rabbit near Ferncloud. "I thought you might be hungry." Foxleap meowed. Ferncloud looked at the rabbit and took a bite. "It's delicious. Thank you, Foxleap." Foxleap looked at his younger siblings. "How did you pick their names?" He asked. Ferncloud nosed Milkkit. "Her pelt it pure white, and she smelled like milk. Carpkit's fur reminded your father of a carp that he once caught in the old forest." Foxleap chuckled, imagining his father fishing in a river. "I wish Spiderleg could see them." Foxleap heard sadness and caring coming from the queen. She fondly cared for Spiderleg, even when he refused to go see Milkkit and Carpkit. "I care for all my kits. Him, Shrewpaw, Hollykit, Larchkit, Birchfall, you, Icecloud, and now, Milkkit and Carpkit. I never ignored Spiderleg. I always cared for him. Foxleap meowed good bye to his mother and walked out the nursery.

-

Foxleap awoke in the middle of the night. He had seen Spiderleg walking past the warrior's den from the direction of the nursery. He carried two small bundles, and at first Foxleap didn't think much of it. But Spiderleg still hadn't come back. He decided to go tell Ferncloud something was wrong with Spiderleg. When he got to the nursery, he could see black fur caught on one of the brambles. Foxleap padded towards Ferncloud, and almost froze in horror. Carpkit and Milkkit where not near Ferncloud's belly. Foxleap anxiously started shaking Ferncloud, in hopes of waking her up. "Ferncloud, wake up, please!" The gray queen lifted her head, and blinked her green eyes. "Yes, Foxleap?" She asked. Foxleap didn't know how to tell her. "It's Milkkit and Carpkit! They're gone!"