Chapter 14

The Clan was already flooding the clearing, pelts pricking. Molepaw and Cherrypaw pressed together, their eyes round as they stared up at Firestar. Poppyfrost shuffled closer to Berrynose. Cloudtail hurried to the nursery to find Brightheart. "Stay inside," he ordered his kits as they peered out like tiny owlets. Lilykit popped her head out beside them. "I'll make sure they stay in their nests," she promised earnestly. "Me too," Seedkit squeaked from behind. Foxleap walked to the nursery entrance, then quickly went back to Rosepetal. "Stay here." He told his mate and his kits. "I'll be back soon." Foxleap made his was back to the Highrock and sat near his friend, Bumblestripe.  "Clanmates, we face an enemy stronger than we have ever known!" Firestar yowled. "The danger comes from dead cats as well as living. The Dark Forest has sworn to destroy the Clans." "How can dead cats harm us?" Mousefur croaked. Firestar looked steadily at the elder. "The warriors in the Place of No Stars have found a way to cross into Clan territory."

Ferncloud gasped.

 "That's impossible!" Cloudtail growled. Maybe for you, Foxleap thought. Firestar leaned over the lip of Highledge. "You've all smelled the scents and seen the paw prints in the forest." "They're just rogues!" Dustpelt snarled. Firestar returned the tabby tom's gaze. "Have you forgotten the scent of Tigerstar?" Foxleap briefly froze. Tigerstar. Every kitten was told the story about Tigerstar, how he betrayed ThunderClan, murdered cats, and almost destroyed the forest. He looked at his father, who responded to Firestar's comment with, Dustpelt stared at him. "I ... I thought I imagined it." Firestar went on. "A battle is coming that we have to win, for the sake of every warrior that ever lived. We must fight alongside the other Clans, because this enemy threatens us all. ShadowClan, WindClan, and RiverClan will each send three warriors here at dusk to join our patrols. We will send three warriors to their camps." He glanced down at his deputy. "Brambleclaw, you choose who will go." The ThunderClan deputy rose up, standing tall, but said instead, "I- I can't, Firestar." The clan gasped, and for a moment Firestar seemed stunned. "Why do you say this, Brambleclaw?" the ThunderClan leader asked. Brambleclaw said, "Tigerstar hates me. He'll want to destroy the clans more than ever if I am here, fighting against him. I wish to be released from ThunderClan." Firestar stood quietly for a moment, before responding with, "If it is your wish. From this moment forth, Brambleclaw is released from ThunderClan." Brambleclaw lightly dipped his head and walked to the gorse tunnel, with looks of shame and dissapointment from his clanmates. Foxleap looked at Squirrelflight, and saw grief in her eyes. Firestar said, "I will choose a deputy in a while, but first we must prepare for battle." Thornclaw's tail brushed the earth. "Won't ShadowClan just take advantage of this to steal our territory?" "If they do, all will be lost," Firestar muttered darkly. "How will I protect my kits?" Brightheart wailed. Cloudtail pressed against her. "I won't let anything harm them!" Ferncloud lashed her tail. "Nor will I!" Sorreltail lifted her chin. "No one will hurt ThunderClan kits." Foxleap walked forward, saying "And if those fox hearts evenn try, I'll rip their throat's out!" Ivypool walked to the front and turned to face her Clan. Lionblaze saw her take a breath and steady her trembling paws. "I know how they fight. I can teach their moves to the Clan." Blossomfall huddled closer to Birchfall. "How do you know?" Dustpelt hissed. "I sent her to spy." Firestar leaped down the rock tumble and stood beside Ivypool. "She knowsmore about our enemy than any cat. Learn from her." Foxleap gaped at her. "You were spying in the Dark Forest?" Of course! No cat just wakes up with fresh battle wounds! Firestar lashed his tail. "We will win this battle because we are fighting for our lives and the lives of our Clanmates. Our enemies are already dead. They fight only out of hate and that will be their weakness." "We'll beat them!" Cloudtail yowled. Molepaw reared up and raked the air with unsheathed claws. "I'll shred any Dark Forest warrior I lay my paws on!" Firestar nodded. "Then let's start training. For victory!" Foxleap cheered alongside them, then raced to the nursery, with Brackenfur, Cloudtail, and Firestar behind him. "My poor kits!" Brightheart was in her nest, curled around three squirming scraps of fur. Cloudtail crouched beside her, his pelt ruffled. Lilykit and Seedkit sat on the edge of their nest, chins high. "We'll protect them!" Brairkit declared. "You'll stay hidden in your nests," Foxleap told his kit, proud at her bravery. Firestar turned to Cloudtail. "Join our Clanmates." He told his nephew. "I'll teach Brightheart how to defend Snowkit, Amberkit, and Dewkit." Cloudtail nodded then raced off to the middle of camp. "Who will go to the battle?" Sandstorm asked her mate. Sunkit stood up saying, "I want to go!" Brairkit, Cherrykit, Foxkit, and Daisykit also begged to go. "Sorreltail, Thornclaw, and Berrynose will go to ShadowClan. Whitewing and Hazeltail can go to WindClan." Looking back at his mate, Firestar said "I'm going to set some rabbit holes as traps." Sandstorm stood up and said, "I'll help you." Before going, Firestar said "I have one more announcement to make. Let all cats old enough to cats their own prey to gather under the Highrock for a clan meeting!" He'll pick his new deputy, Foxleap guessed. He'll probably pick Brackenfur or Graystripe, he thought. After all the cats gathered, Firestar began. "While it is true Brambleclaw was a noble deputy and shouldn't have left ThunderClan, we need to look forward. The battle is coming, and we need someone who can help lead this clan." He is going to pick Graystripe! Foxleap thought. But he was surprised when Firestar said, "I have spoken with the cats who I had originally chosen," he said, with a quick glance at Brackenfur and Graystripe, "and both rejected the position, for their own reasons." Foxleap looked astounded. Who'd be deputy then? "However," Firestar continued, "They both suggested a cat who is young, able, and loyal to this clan. Foxleap's mind raced with possible cats. Cloudtail... Dustpelt... Thornclaw... He did not expect it when Firestar said "Foxleap, step up."

(Also the reason I made Brambleclaw leave is because in an original draft for The Last Hope, Brambleclaw leaves to become a rouge. But don't worry! He may come back!)