Chapter 15

Chapter 15

 15 years later

I heard the keys in the door. I heard Brandon laughing and Isabelle’s innocent chuckles. I walked into the hallway and crouched down. Isabelle ran into my arms

   ‘Mommy!’ she exclaimed, hugging me.

   ‘Hey sweetheart. How was school today?’ I asked

   ‘Fine!’ she replied, skipping over to her newborn sister. And knelt beside her on the blanket ‘Hello, Clara.’ she cooed to the baby, the baby gurgled in response and giggled. She picked up the rattle that had dropped onto the ground and handed it to her. The baby inspected it, bit it and dropped it again.

   ‘Hey honey’ Brandon smiled, kissing my cheek. I smiled.

   ‘Hey, Bran’ I glanced over at the children ‘How was work?’ I asked, returning to him

   ‘Fine, I was told there is a party this evening’ he smiled, I glanced at the children ‘They can come, I invited Carl, he said he’s coming with the wife and kids’ I smiled.

   'The wife?! She has a name!'

     I remembered at our wedding, I threw the bouquet. All the girls gathered around the dance floor as “Chariots Of Fire” was played. Alex hinted to me to through it towards her. I smiled. I turned around and threw it as hard as I could. I heard hysterical laughter. I turned, expectantly. I gaped at Carl’s terrified face as he’d yelled

   ‘What the hell is this?!’ Alex smiled at him and screamed

   ‘Oh my God! We’re getting married next!’

   ‘What?!’ he screamed in a girlie manner. Alex doubled over in laughter.

   ‘I was just sitting here! Eating fondue marshmallows and strawberries! Wha-What?!’ he screamed. But a few months later they broke up for two weeks. Then, got back together then he proposed after another few months. They now had two children; David and Abby, ages five and three.

     I dressed Isabelle in a blue sundress with white daisies and Clara in a pink dress and put a bow in the little curls that covered her round head.

   ‘Mommy?’ Isabelle asked 

   ‘Yes, princess?’ I replied

   ‘Will auntie Alex be there?’ she asked

   ‘Yes, of course. Why?’

   ‘Will she have candy?’ she smiled

   ‘Maybe’ I laughed ‘Why?’

   ‘Her stories aren’t the same without candy!’ she laughed as if I should have known

   ‘Really?’ I asked, turning to her and away from the ribbon in Clara’s hair ‘What kind of stories?’

   ‘About you and daddy and her and Uncle- I mean Carl. She makes me and David act it out!’ she laughed in embarrassment

   ‘Honey? What’s wrong with calling him “uncle” Carl?’ I asked, incredulously. Isabelle covered her mouth as if she was after telling me a huge secret, her charm bracelet jingled.

   ‘Oh no! Nothing!’ she tried to cover up

   ‘Honey…’ I said in a warning tone ‘Tell me’

   ‘He told me he wasn’t  my uncle, that’s all’

   ‘He’s such a…b... bold boy. I’ll have a talk with him’

   ‘No, Mommy! Don’t, please.’ she begged

   ’Oh honey, you’re scared ’ I pointed out. She laughed

   ‘Of Uncle Carl!? I mean Carl?! No, he’s not scary!’ she giggled ‘No! he’s really funny! But he has really big bear hugs!’

   ‘Aw honey, that’s sweet, but you can call him Uncle Carl, okay?’ I smiled, she nodded

   ‘Okay, Mommy.’ she nodded, I would miss those days. When she’d listen, never question me. I hugged her

   ‘Honey, keep an eyes on your sister, okay?’ I smiled

   ‘Ah-haw, always.’ she nodded, her blonde, long curls bouncing. ’Mommy, can I wear some make-up?’

   ’Honey, at your age, you will want to seem older, but when you’re older you’ll want to seem younger’ I smiled. She nodded

   ’Can I wear some, though?’ she asked, I laughed and sighed. I took her hand and applied some lip gloss and blush 

   ‘That okay?’ I asked, she nodded excitedly.

                                                 ****************

   ‘Girls. Come on, time to go!’ I yelled. Isabelle ran towards me, her arms out. I spun her around as she laughed. I cute laugh that came deep from her stomach. A hearty chuckle.

   ‘Okay, Let’s go!’ Amelie bustled past me and out the door, grabbing my hand and holding Clara on her hip.

     We arrived around fifteen minutes later and straight away Alex came over to help Amelie and took Clara into her arms. Amelie thanked her and breathed a quick sigh of relief

     Eventually the kids ran off to play. Amelie and Alex were dancing to their favourite song from their teenage years- One Direction-Up All Night. I could hear them singing along:

   ‘Katy Perry’s on replay, she’s on replay! DJ’s got the floor to shake, the floor to shake!’ The yelled whilst jumping and giggling. Alex was actually dancing whilst Amelie jumped and tripped over, not drunk, but without a right foot. I laughed and got up and danced with them. Alex dragged Carl up too, but even he couldn’t say no to Alex. The children ran on too, laughing and grabbing our hands. It was like a really bad dancing group. All skipped and jumping in a large circle. Then many other families came on too, to join in. It felt like a children’s party but much more fun.

     The next day in work, people pat me o the back and I was known as “the family man”. I was also thanked by my workmate. She was afraid that her family was falling apart and that the previous night, they had joined together again.

     Then later that day, after I changed from my costume from work, I was walking down the stairs. I gazed out the window that was halfway down the stairs. Amelie and the kids were in our huge front garden. Amelie chased Isabelle down the garden. Then walked over to Clara and made a daisy chain. I ran outside with them. We helped Clara walk down the garden by holding her hands. Isabelle trying to race her, obviously winning. After an hour of walking up and down the garden, we picked her up and played ring around the rosie.  As we danced meaninglessly in circles, I noticed how lucky I really was.