Chapter Seven Proper Lady

Chapter Seven

Kris gently guided Belinda to the general store and politely held the door open for her, she smiled at him and Kris reminded himself how delicate Belinda looked, like one of the dolls Jacob sold inside his general store. As they stepped inside, a little bell went off. Belinda felt like she stepped into a different world. Back home, David always had dress trailers come to the house to fit her for new clothes; or servants to go and buy food. She was never allowed out the house for anything, no matter how important Kris left Belinda’s side and walked up to the counter at the back of the little store. An older man with grey hair and a welcoming smile had come around the corner as soon as they had entered the store. “Hello, Kris! Didn’t I just see you?” He said. Kris let out a warm laugh and, oddly, despite the way he looked, the sound was like magic. “I wanted you to meet my wife, Belinda!” Turning towards her he added, “Jacob is like an uncle to me he helped the Harris’s raise me.” A pair of eyes looked her way measuring, perceiving, judging eyes widened in shock and humor. “Well; I’ll be! You’re a pretty one!” Jacob laughed and came around the counter. He walked up to her in quick steps and offered his hand. “I’m Jacob O’Reilly it’s nice to meet you.” Belinda gave him her quick fake smile. “Hello, I’m Belinda Morri- sorry, Harris. Belinda Harris it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” As the words left her mouth, Jacob’s smile got bigger (as if it were possible). “I haven’t heard talk that proper since- since I can’t rightly remember! My mother always said you can tell a true lady by the way she speaks.” Belinda felt a blush creep up her cheeks. She looked over at Kris who was staring at her with a questionable expression. The men started to talk to each other and Belinda retreated into her thoughts. The way Kris talked to Jacob with so much respect in his voice. It was different then the way David talked to people. David talked down to people to show them who was in control. He loved to be in control and Belinda knew that better then anyone. She could still feel the beatings that he gave her. To show her who was in control, as she didn’t already know. The fear still felt so real it was like she was waiting for him to come back and take her back any moment. Belinda felt a dark feeling wash up inside of her. Angry for not stopping him self-loathing it was so strong Belinda took a deep breath to claim herself down. She never felt these emotions before. Belinda was so deep in her thoughts that she didn’t notice that someone was talking to her…until they put their hands on her back. She screamed before she could stop herself. David! Her mind shrieked. She felt someone flinch back from her. Belinda knew what was coming next, she tried to keep her face emotionless. Strong arms wrapped around her and pulled her into a hard chest. Belinda knew what was coming next, he was going to beat her until she couldn’t stand, or may (hopefully) kill her. Cringed as she waited but the strong arms just held her and some how, through her trauma, memories, and imagined torment, she felt safe. A voice spoke, it didn’t sound like David, this voice had a sweet melody and not a rude, carelessness sound like David’s voice. It had to be Kris who was holding her in his arms. Why did he make her feel so safe? Wait a minute, don’t forget! She told herself. She told herself to remember that she had plans that didn’t involve a future with him. Make him trust her and than run away with all his money. If he had any money or her plans would be ruined. He must have money somewhere to send for her. It wouldn’t take a lot of time. Maybe a month or two, she knew how to be fake and sweet, David’s plan and all. Be the model wife or pay the consequences. Sometimes she wished that just for once she could be a normal person.

               “Why are you shaking? Belinda, I’m sorry I scared you!” Kris said in a gentle voice. As he felt Belinda tremble in his arms he thought to himself! Why is she so scared of me? I won’t hurt her. Oh Lord, is this really the women that You have chosen for me? He tried to tilt her face upward so he could meet her eyes, but she kept her head and thus eyes down. “Why won’t you look at me?” Kris murmured. He just couldn’t believe that his wife was scared of him. He would never hurt her, she was…special. “Mr. Harris, would you please let me go? I’m sorry for making a scene in front of your friend.” Kris felt a little relieved that Jacob had left to give them a little bit of privacy. “Oh, Jacob has two grown girls and a boy so I think he has seen everything imaginable.” Belinda started to feel uncomfortable, why was th- oh, yeah the arms. He must have felt her discomfort because he swiftly dropped his arms from around her and took a massive step away from her. “Um, we’re here to see if you need anything before we head to the farm. It’s kind of away out and I only come into town once a month. Just tell Jacob what you need and he’ll add it to my tab. I’m going to bring the wagon around; I’ll be back in quickly!” Belinda nodded her head and started to make a mental list of the things she would need. Soon, she had everything she would need with time to spare and watched as Jacob wrote it down in a large notebook. When he was done writing it up, he lifted his head and smiled kindly at her.

               “Kris is a good man; he’ll treat you like a Godly man should treat his wife. I know right not you’re scared but if you need anything don’t be ashamed to ask. My wife Anne will be upset she missed you. My oldest just had her baby so Anne’s been busy taking care of them both. I think before long we’ll stop by the farm so you can visit with her.” Belinda nodded her head it did sound nice to meet another woman. David never let her have friends and it wasn’t like anyone went out of their way to talk to her. “Thank you Mr.O’Reilly it would be nice to meet another woman in this town.” Jacob shook his head. “Call me Jacob, everyone else does. You’re like family now.” Belinda felt the tears rise to the surface of her eyes. A family, she never had a real family before. She opened her mouth to say something just as the rind of the bell stopped her. She turned and saw Kris standing there with a warm, welcoming smile on his face. “Are you ready Belinda?” Belinda closed her eyes and took a deep breath. As she let the air out she nodded her head. She opened her eyes and stared straight ahead, it was time to set her plans into motion.