Chapter Eleven Smiles

• Dedicated to Christy Sawyer Manning

Chapter Eleven

               Belinda felt herself smile more then she has in a life time. After the accident with the rooster Kris didn’t leave the shotgun at the house. However, Molly stayed close to the house and they quickly became friends.  She started to show Belinda how to milk a cow and the correct way to gather eggs from the chicken coop without being mangled by the hens. However the best part was Molly showing her how to cook without anything burning. With Molly around she felt like she has made a friend for the very first time.

Belinda cooked her first meal with only a little bit of help from Molly. She was straight proud of the way the food turned outeven if it wasn’t prefect.   After blessing the meal Kris commented on how great everything looked and smelled. However overlooking that she slightly burnt the potatoes, the beans were a little mushy and the fried chicken looked a little to crispy.

“I want to tell you again that you did a mighty fine job on supper tonight. I’m really proud of you and a grand cook you are becoming.” Kris smiled at her over his slightly burnt potatoes. Belinda felt a blush creep up her face and she had to notice what a beautiful smile her husband had.

“Tomorrow is Sunday and we’ll be going to church after the milking get’s done.” Kris said before he took a bite of beans.

“Church, why would we be going to church?” Belinda said it so low that at first she didn’t think Kris heard her.

“Tomorrow is the Lords day so we’ll go and worship God with other believers!” Kris said it so straight forward that Belinda felt like she was missing something. David never wanted them to go to church the only time they were inside one was on their wedding day. It was only because David wanted to have a wedding to be the talk of the town. Belinda looked over at Kris and saw that he was eating everything she cooked even the burnt parts. Maybe if the people at church were like Kris then she could do it. How hard could it be to go inside a church? 

“Okay.” That’s all Belinda said though supper even when Kris said something to hear she would answer with one word sentences. Kris has been nothing but nice to her sense she got to the farm but if she did something to angry him at church. 

               After supper Kris went to get the large metal wash tub so she could take a bath. She boiled water and he brought in cold water from the spring. It took hours but finally Kris put the last bucket down and quickly left her alone to handle her business while he bathed in the spring. It felt heavenly to Belinda as she washed herself of the days work. After she was clean she washed her hair and quickly got dresses and sat close to the fire to dry her hair. She heard foot steps on the porch so she ran to the bedroom and laid down in bed with her eyes closed.  She heard Kris in the kitchen emptying out the bath tub and putting it up. Kris came into the room and she heard him taking off his boots. Tonight is going to be the night he takes you as his! IAll his sweetness-- it’s all an act.  David done the same thing when he wanted something from you. The voice in her head told her and Belinda got scared for a moment until another voice came into her thoughts. He won’t hurt you my love.  I promise I will always protect you! That voice claimed Belinda and as Kris laid on the bed she fell asleep.

The slap came as soon as Belinda step foot back in the house after going on a walk outside. Something she knew it was going to get her in trouble but she wanted some fresh air. Married only two weeks she knew that David was more hateful then her own father.

 “Belinda where in the world were you? I won’t have my own wife being unfaithful!” David pulled back his arm and hit her again and again. “Is this what you like Belinda me having to show you who’s in charge?” Belinda kept the tears inside because she knew if she cried the beatings would get worse. All she wanted was someone to help her  to save her.