Chapter two: Reuniting

Chapter 2:

"Dee, Dee is that really you?"

"Samuel?"

SHIT!

His hair’s longer; he’s gone taller, way taller. Judging by his appearance he’s probably more toned now. He’s changed but at the same time he’s still the same. He flashes me that silly boyish smile that always made my heart skip, I feel myself freeze. Taking one small step back I hear him call my name.

“Dee, May are you okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost-"

I don’t hear what he says next. Why? Because I ran. I run outside the school building and right into Brandon Ryan, Jayne’s brother. Being five foot five has its perks especially when Brandon is six foot two, a giant in my eyes. His luminous grey eyes stare at me intensely; peering through my thick lashe, I make contact with his eyes. Jayne is an unspoken topic in Druittown, although he never speaks to me anymore, I always get the feeling he blames me. But I don't blame him for thinking that, afterall he is right.His large hands take hold of my shoulder as he steadies me before pushing me to the side lightly. Being caught off guard, my legs loose balance, my knees scraping on the roads gravel. I watch him hesitate for a moment before he offers me his hand, almost instantly he takes his hand back. His eyes lay on the pile of dirt and gravel that lay beside me. With one swing he kicks the pile of dust towards me. Flinching at his gesture of hatred, I keep my eyes downcast staring at my knees which are now slightly bleeding.

“Watch where you’re going whore!” His voice is cold and full of hatred, he looks down at me one last time before trudging back to the school building. He definitely hates me.

Silence. The house is far too quite. No longer caring if anyone hears me, I make a sprint towards my room. Locking the door behind me, my fingers tremble as i push in the numbers for the inbuilt safe in my walk in robe. I let out a sigh of relief once I see everything is still in place. Taking hold of the antique keepsake box, I check that every item is still in place. My soul aches in pain as I look through the different contents that is stored in this safe. When did my life become this complicated.

“Miss Evans? Miss Evans? Miss Evans! Miss Evans is that you? Oh dear lord Natasha, miss Natasha?”

My heartbeat speeds up at hearing the voice, fumbling with the items I pack them away, making sure the safe is well covered, before retreating to my bedroom. I relax when I notice no one has followed me into the room. Someone’s fist heavily pounds at my door.

“Miss Evans! Oh dear god, I think were being robbed, Miss Natasha, Natasha! Call up the school and check if Delilah is there.”

Opening my door slowly, Mayella paces about the hallways speaking on the phone while her other hand is preoccupied holding a kitchen knife.

“Oh Mrs. Evans finally I’ve gotten hold of you, listen there’s someone in the house and the school said that miss Evans isn’t there, and I’m so worried sick, I swear to god when I get my hands on whoever has our May I will chop them up with my very own butch- Miss Evan is that really you?” throwing her cell phone and knife onto the ground, she pulls me into a bone crushing hug. Stroking my face lovingly she sighs.

“You had us scared there darling now what would your mother say if she- your mother! She’s still on the phone!”

Running around frantically she retrieves the phone before speaking again.

“Mrs. Evans she’s right here it was only Delilah in her room.” she pauses, nodding her head every few seconds.

“No ma’am she, she didn’t actually say, if you want I can ask her for  you-“ she pauses once again, her brows furrowed as a frown grew on her delicate aging features.