Chapter Six

Chapter Six

                I can feel myself beginning to lose my sanity. These nightmares are affecting me emotionally and physically that as each day passes, I feel I am turning into a complete different person. Why was this happening to Abigail and me? This was meant to be the start of a new life for us both. The nightmare I had last night has been stuck in my mind all day. The scream that Michelle gave when she fell to her death is still haunting. If only if there was something I could have done to prevent it. She was too young to lose her life like that. I can’t even begin to possibly imagine what her family must be going through at the moment.

I have no idea what I am going to do. How am I able to stop something which is unexplainable? It’s not like I can go to the nearest police station and tell them that Michelle did not leap to her death, but was in fact murdered by a paranormal entity. And the reason I know this is because I saw it happen in my nightmare. They would have locked me up and labelled me insane.  

“Daddy...” Abigail quietly says to me as she walks out of the bathroom, with her hair still wet and dressed in her pyjamas.

“What’s wrong Abigail?”

She turns her back to me and lifts up her top to expose three deep scratch marks that go up her back, which look very inflamed and sore.

I look on in shock. “Did she do this to you?” I say to Abigail in concern. “Did Samantha hurt you?” I ask her speaking more aggressively, feeling the rage build up inside of me. It was a hard thing to witness, seeing my own daughter in pain and yet there was nothing I could do to protect her.

“We have to go back to the house daddy. She told me that if we don’t go back, she is going to hurt us both.”

“How did she tell you this Abigail?” I question, turning her towards me. “Was it in your nightmares?”

“She talks to me daddy... she talks to me in my head. I can hear her now.”

“What is she saying to you right now?” I ask.

“She said she is to going to hurt you,” Abigail says, making a loud cry and falling to her knees. “She’s going to hurt you daddy!” she screams, covering her hands over her ears.

“Abigail, I promise that I won’t let anything happen to you. She’s not going to hurt you anymore. Don’t listen to anything that she says to you!”

Abigail looks up and laughs at me, while I look on in confusion.

“You think I can’t hurt her?” Abigail says to me. But it was not Abigail. The voice was recognisable, like it had been in my nightmares. It was hateful, vile, and malicious, and the same voice that made me freeze up with terror.

“What have you done with my daughter?” I shout angrily towards her. Her eyes had turned completely black, removing the innocence of Abigail’s hazel coloured eyes. “Give me my fucking daughter back!” I shout in despair, shaking Abigail’s body.

She spits a foul black bile towards me, and laughs again.

“You think you can stop me?” its voice roaring. “You don’t know what you’re dealing with.”

“What do you want from us?” I beg. She’s standing a few meters away from me, with a blank expression on her face and her large black-eyes staring towards me.  

She remains quiet.

“Please, just don’t hurt my daughter.” I beg again.

She raises her hand and pushes me back with unimaginable strength that I fly back into the wall of the motel, hitting the back of my head on impact, and falling to the floor. I look around the room of the motel, but my vision is severely blurred. I think I am having black outs because I can’t remember anything that’s happening as the seconds go by. I can feel myself drifting in and out of consciousness.

***

I open my eyes to the darkness of the room, holding the back of my head which is still throbbing in pain. I must have been out a while because there’s no light anymore. The room is empty and eerily quiet. Abigail is no-where in sight. Where could she have gone?

Panic was beginning to kick in. I remembered vaguely being attacked by Abigail. But it wasn’t Abigail; it was Samantha who was controlling her. I should have known there was something wrong with her. All the signs were there. How did I not notice that something was wrong?

The only place I know where Samantha would have gone is back to the house. I grab the car-keys off the table, and exit the room. I have no idea what I’m going to do when I get back to the house, but that’s not my concern. I need to get to Abigail.

After rushing down numerous flights of stairs, I get to the car. I couldn’t even wait for the elevator; I was panicking too much to stand still. I drive quickly down the road, hearing dozens of cars beeping the sound of their horn as I drive at speed past them. I don’t know what has come over me, it’s like I have suddenly become fearless. I would never even think of driving at the speed I am right now.

I pull up outside the house safely, surprisingly. The house is in complete darkness, and it looks as if nobody is home. But I know that Samantha is in there. Every time she is near, I can feel her presence. I walk towards the door slowly, approaching closer to realise that the door had already been opened.

“Abigail?” I say quietly as I enter the house. It’s in complete darkness. I go to switch the light on, but as I flip the switch, it doesn’t seem to work. The electricity must have been cut out.

“Daddy!” a voice shouts from the top of the stairs. I can’t see anything because it’s too dark. I can only hear Abigail’s voice.

“Abigail?” I say shouting up towards the stairs.

“Daddy, please come up here. Samantha is going to hurt to me.” She cries.

“I’m coming Abigail!” I shout to her, as I begin to quickly run up the stairs.

I run up the stairs towards the hallway. But there is no one there. “Abigail!” I shout. The door downstairs closes suddenly with powerful force which startles me.

“Abigail, where are you?” I shout again, looking down towards Abigail’s room. “Abigail!”

There’s a sinister growl that comes from behind me.