Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

                What had just happened? My sub-conscious says to myself again. Surely I had not gone back in time. That cannot be possible. I know I am not going insane, because Abigail had seen everything too. Their faces were clear as day, and I could feel their presence as they ran straight through us. I can still replay the horrifying sounds of the gun-shots echoing throughout the house as the woman screamed, and Abigail held onto my hand tightly.

There is no blood that surrounds the walls of the hallway, and nor was there any of the bodies in sight. It was as if I had gone back to the moment to be shown what horrifying events transpired in this house. But as the man was about to close the door, he looked straight down the hallway towards me, like he knew I was there. How did he know I was watching something that had already happened?

There is an abrupt scream that comes from inside the house, which startles me and Abigail. The woman in the white dress from appears at the top of the stairs, looking down the hallway towards us. Her once white dress is completely covered in blood, and her face is ghostly pale.

“Daddy...” Abigail says, burying her face into me, trying not to look.

“What do you want from us?” I shout towards her.

She makes no response, but turns her head to the door next to her and walks eerily back down the stairs and out of my sight. Seconds later, there is a loud scream that comes from the other side of the hallway. It’s coming from my room.

“Come on Abigail.” I say to her, walking slowly down the hallway towards my room.

There’s another horrifying scream that comes from my room.

My heart is pounding again, and my hands are trembling in fear. I push open the door with force, to see the man lying on top of a young girl who is screaming in distress.

“Who’s there?” the man turns around startled at the opening of the door, looking at my direction. “Who’s there?” he says again. He’s unable to see me or Abigail.

The man gets off the bed and walks towards the door, as me and Abigail walk backwards. He looks out the hallway, as I stand there a few meters apart from him, looking into his dark-navy blue eyes and his rough-looking face. There are dark circles underneath his eyes, perhaps showing the effects of lack of sleep. He seems to act very distressed.

“Something is happening in this house...” he says to himself in an agitated voice, before closing the door cautiously. There’s another scream that comes from behind the door again. “Please, please don’t hurt me!” the young girl shouts.

“Shut your fucking mouth!” he replies, followed by the sound of a slap.

I don’t know what comes over me, but I push the door again with force, to find that the room is empty once again.

“What is happening to us?” I say to myself as I look around the room confused.

I felt as if my sanity was completely gone. I did not know whether this was another nightmare, if I was hallucinating, or if this was all real. I was beginning to doubt everything that was happening to me.

I turn to Abigail and see her walking down the hallway towards her room. “Abigail, come back here!” I shout, but she does not respond.

I quickly rush down the hallway towards Abigail who is standing at the door, looking at a young girl with long-black hair that is sitting on the end of the bed. Her skin is pale, and she’s wearing a long-white nighty.

“Samantha?” Abigail asks in a soft voice.

The girl turns her head and looks at Abigail. “You need to hide, before he sees you.”

“Samantha!” the man says shouting, slamming the door from downstairs.

“You need to hide now!” she shouts towards us.

I grab Abigail’s hand and rush towards the wardrobe, and quickly closing it, using the flaps of the wardrobe to look through. The man stumbles into the room seconds after, holding a bottle of whisky in one hand and leaning against the door.

“Who were you talking to?” he shouts at her.

“I wasn’t talking to anyone.” She replies quietly, keeping her head down.

“You wouldn’t lie to me would you Samantha?” he says, kneeling down in front of her. I could smell the stench of the alcohol that was coming off of him. “You’re my special girl, you know that Samantha. So I know you wouldn’t lie to me.”

“No sir, I would never lie to you.” She says quietly, shaking her head.

“Good.” he replies, placing the palm of his hand on Samantha’s right cheek. “Because if you ever lie to me, you know I will be angry.” He says assertively, chucking the bottle of whisky at the wall.

Abigail makes a slight noise which startles the man.

“What was that?” he asks, turning around looking towards the wardrobe. “Did you just hear that?”

“It’s nothing.” Samantha says quietly.

“It’s this fucking house!” the man shouts. “This place is haunted.”

The man lifts up his shirt and pulls out a hand-gun and points it towards the wardrobe. “Show your fucking selves!” he shouts, and his hands shaking vigorously.

“Don’t go in there!” Samantha shouts, trying to stop the man from entering the wardrobe. She begins to try and pull the gun away from him.

“We need to help her.” Abigail whispers to me.

“No, we need to stay in here.” I say to Abigail, holding onto her.

The man slaps Samantha around as the face as her body flops on the bed. He is becoming more aggressive and slaps her again as she cries in pain.

“I told you to never disrespect me!” he shouts, walking back over to the wardrobe.

Samantha gets up from the bed and pushes the man into the wardrobe.

“Get off me!” He says in an aggressive tone, followed by the sound of a gunshot which echoes throughout the house.

“Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!” he says in shock. “What have I done? What have I done? What I have done?”

The man looks down at Samantha’s body as the dark-red blood covers the floor and the walls as he looks on in dismay, before quickly exiting the room. The house had taken me back in time once again.