Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

                The neighbourhood’s eyes continued to watch us as we drove away quickly from the house. Abigail turns her head to look back at the house and all the people that were watching us but I couldn't bring myself to look back. It was my fault what had happened to Julie and Jamie. I should have never come here and brought this upon them.

“Daddy, where are we going?” Abigail says looking at me with her innocent puppy-dog eyes.

“Somewhere that can help us Abigail.”

“Where are we going to run to?”

“We can’t run anymore Abigail. And there’s no point in hiding because they’ll still find us. I know a place not too far from here, a place that can help us. It’s the only other choice we have left. There is no other option.”

“And where’s that daddy?”

“It’s a church Abigail. It’s the place where your mum and I got married a very long time ago when we were both very young. I know one of the priests there. If there is anyone that can help us right now, then it’s him.”

I had not seen Landon in many years, and I was unsure as if he was even still alive, but I had nothing else to lose. I didn’t know where else I could go anymore. If there was anyone right now that would believe what was happening to us, then it would be Landon. From when I knew him, he was very devoted to his religion and even made newspapers for his claims that he had performed exorcisms by people who had been possessed by the devil himself. I never thought that I would one day believe these stories that I had once claimed as ‘complete bullshit’.  

“A priest?” a confused look appears on her face. “What’s a priest?”

“They’re people who can help us get rid of this thing that is following us Abigail. They will be able to get rid of Samantha and make sure she never hurts you again. They will help us make sure that everything goes back to normal.”

I knew our life would never be normal; too much had happened over the years for it to ever go back to being what it once was. All I wanted in life was to see Abigail grow up, fulfil her potential, get married and one day have children of her own. To have a life that most parents would want their children to have. I would not allow this demonic entity ruin our lives anymore.  I was determined to make sure that we could defeat what-ever this thing was.

***

We pull up against the entrance to the large-gateway to the church. I still remember this place like it was yesterday, getting married to Lorraine and starting our new life together. It was not long after the marriage that Lorraine had announced that we were having Abigail. I remember that year being one of the best times of my life, and it still puts a smile on my face even now. Even after everything that we have been through.

“It doesn’t look like anyone’s there.” Abigail says looking through the car window at the eerily quiet graveyard. 

I exit the car and walk towards the gate, seeing that it had been locked very securely with two metal chains locked around the door to make sure that the place was well protected. It would be impossible to climb as the long-black gate had black spikes coming from the top. There did not seem to be anyway into the church.

“What are we going to do now?” Abigail says, popping her head through the car window.

“I’m not sure Abigail.” I say getting back into the car. I didn’t know what else to do now. This seemed like our only chance left, and the place was locked securely as if it was saying to us ‘There is no help here for you’.