Chapter One

"If there is no one beside you when your soul embarks, I will be the one to follow you into the dark."

Chapter One

"Daddy!" Abigail screams from the top of her lungs, echoing throughout the whole house with a loud screech. "Daddy!" she screams again.

I immediately awaken to the dark atmosphere of the room, quickly sitting up from my bed and running down the long dull hallway towards Abigail's room that I can see directly in front of me, feeling my heart pounding as if I just had been injected with a shot of adrenaline. I push myself into the door with force, and turn on the light to see Abigail lying in an upright position, holding her arms out towards me with tears that were running down her hazel-coloured eyes.

"Abigail, what's wrong sweetie?"  I ask her placing the palm of my hand on her noticeable sweaty forehead. 'Are you running a temperature?'  I look at her in concern.

"Daddy I'm scared," she says wrapping her arms around me. I can feel her whole body shaking as I hold onto her.

"What's wrong honey?" I ask, placing myself on the foot-end of the bed looking towards her.

"I'm scared that Samantha is going to get me," she says in a soft tone. "She said she is going to hurt me."

"Abigail, we have been through this before," I smile. "It's only a nightmare – there is nothing to be scared about. No one is going to hurt you, I promise. "

"It wasn't a nightmare daddy, I'm not lying!" she replies very agitated. "Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Of course you can princess. Come on, let's go to bed," I reply comforting her, kissing her on the top of her dark-brown hair as she continues to hold on to me.

This had been a re-occurring problem recently; it was the seventh night in a row that she has had the same nightmare. Abigail has not adapted to the house very well. We both moved to New Orleans, Louisiana three weeks ago after I was fortunate enough to land myself a new job as an accountant in a new firm. It was a very tough decision to have to leave everything behind at home, especially for Abigail having to leave all her friends behind. But the opportunity that was given to me was too valuable to not take.  I just hope that as the weeks goes on, Abigail perception of the place begins to change. She will be starting her new school tomorrow.

****

"Rise and shine Abigail, it's time for school. Are you excited?"

"Not really," she replies very groggy and unresponsive. These nightmares have been disturbing her sleep, and making her noticeably tired.  

"Ok, now go get ready and brush your teeth," I say to her, while I try to find where I placed my tailor-made jacket. "Michelle will be picking you up from your new school today, ok Abigail?" I yell down the hallway towards the bathroom.

"I don't need a baby-sitter!" she yells back from the bathroom.

"You're only eleven Abigail," I chuckle. "I thought you liked Michelle anyway?"

"I do like her, but she treats me like I am sort of kid," she says as I quietly chuckle again.

"Abigail, I've prepared you some break feast. So after you're done getting ready - go down-stairs to get something to eat. I have to be at work in less than an hour."

After getting ready for work, I walk down the stairs towards the kitchen to see Abigail sitting at the dining table, staring outside the window. She had not touched any of her food again. This was increasing my suspicion that perhaps everything that has happened between us was beginning to have an affect on her.

"Abigail, are you not going to eat your breakfast? it's the most important meal of the day."

"I'm not hungry," she responds, still continuing to look outside the window, as if something had gained her interest. But there was nothing interesting outside that window, except for a street-road and some houses.

"Come on, you need to eat... Abigail are you listening to me?"

"I'm not hungry!" she snaps back at me, a fierce roar in the tone of her voice, as I look back in shock. Abigail had never shouted before. It wasn't in her nature.

"Abigail I'm sorry okay," I say to her calmly. "Come on, put your coat on and lets take you to school."

We leave the house and enter the car. While driving on the way to the school, I turn my attention towards Abigail, who is tucked up her in pink-puffer jacket still acting very groggy and unresponsive. She has become noticeable paler in these recent weeks, and the disturbances in the night have caused dark-circles to appear under her eyes. Hopefully by her meeting new friends at school, it can help her begin to adapt to this place. I miss her innocent smile.

"Are you nervous?" I ask her trying to strike up a conversation.

She shakes her head. "Not really."

"Abigail, I know this must be really hard for you. But after a few weeks, I promise you everything will get better. You do understand why we had to move here?"

"Yes daddy, I know."

We quickly approach closer to the school 'after two-hundred yards, you have reached your destination.' The GPS alerted as Abigail continues to remain quiet. After parking the car, we walk towards reception, scouting at how big the school really was. Abigail holds onto my hand tightly as we approach the reception.

"Good morning there sir, how can I help?" the old woman at the reception desk kindly asks.

"Good morning, my name is Christian Harper. I am the father of Abigail, who will be joining your school today.  I was told to come to reception to meet the principal."

"Yes certainly, bear with me one second sir," she says smiling towards Abigail while she began to speak on the phone for no more than a minute. "Mrs Cusack will be on her way down to you now," she tells me smiling again, as I thank her.

"Everything is going to be okay princess," I say to Abigail, placing my knees onto the ground so that I am able to speak to her eye-level as she stares at me with a blank expression.

"Mr Harper?" a woman says to me entering through the double-door, and grasping my attention. She definitely looked like the principal. Dressed very professional in a matching black outfit, and rectangular glasses which slid slightly down her pointy nose as she looked down at Abigail.

"Good morning," I reply, standing up and holding onto Abigail's hand.

"Good morning Mr Harper, my name is Mrs Cusack and I am the head principal of this school," she smiles. "It's very nice to meet you both,"  she says offering her hand towards me, as I accept with a firm handshake.

"This is my daughter Abigail," I respond. "She's quite nervous."

"Understandable, it's very nerve-wracking I am sure. But there's nothing you need to be nervous about though Abigail. You will fit in perfectly here," she says looking down to Abigail, in a very gentle but professional tone.

I look down at her. "You'll be fine princess." Abigail looks down at the floor, and doesn't utter a word.

"Mrs Cusack, just to notify you that at end of the day a young woman named Michelle will be picking Abigail up. Would it be possible if Abigail could remain at the reception until she is picked up?"

"Absolutely Mr Harper, I will personally bring her to reception myself and wait with her."

"That's great, thank you."

"So are you ready come with me then Abigail?" Mrs Cusack smiles, offering her hand towards Abigail.

"You'll be fine princess. I will see you when I get home tonight," I tell Abigail, releasing my hand from hers as she walks over to Mrs Cusack.  Abigail walks with Mrs Cusack through the double-doors and down the hall-way, turning her head to look back at me while I continue to smile and wave towards her. It was hard to see how much affect this move has had on her, but I hope that this can be the beginning of a new start for us both.