Chapter Four

Chapter Four

                For hours there had only been sheer silence. Outside the window, the alluring sunrise was beginning to pierce into Abigail’s dull room as I sat there holding onto her while she peacefully slept. My eyes were kept locked towards the door. I still couldn’t believe that this was happening to us both. It feels so surreal. I can still hear the voice of Lorraine replaying in my mind, and the guilt that I had tried so hard to forget was coming back to me. I could feel the tiredness all over my body, as my eyes began to struggle to stay open.

My eyes open to a loud bang that comes from the downstairs door which startles me and Abigail. I must have fallen asleep. I only closed my eyes for a second.

“Mr Harper, this is the police. I would like to speak with you.” A voice yells from outside the window, with another loud knock at the door.

“Who’s that daddy?” Abigail asks me.

“I’m not sure.” I reply curious.

I stand up and open the window, looking outside to a police car that is parked on the street outside my house, and overlooking a young police officer that was knocking at the door.

“Can I help you?” I shout curiously.

He looks up at me. “Mr Harper. Could you please come to the door so I can talk to you please?” he says very assertively.

“Okay – I’ll be down in just a second.”

“What was that about daddy?” Abigail asks as I begin to move the cupboard away from the door. 

“I’m not sure yet Abigail,” I say to her as I take hold of her hand. “We need to go downstairs.”

“But what if Samantha is behind there Daddy?” Abigail whimpers.

She was right. What if Samantha was behind there? What if the police officer was nothing more than an exploit to get me and Abigail out of the room?  So many thoughts were beginning to run through my mind again. I was feeling agitated.  I place my hand on the doorknob, and slowly begin to pull it open as I look down towards the hallway. My heart was beginning to beat faster again. Samantha was no-where in sight.

“Come on Abigail.” I say to her as we quickly rush down the hallway, and down the stairs towards the door. I open the door to the officer standing outside; he looks much younger from up-close.  Perhaps that is because he was clean-shaven, and his hair was quite short.

“What can I help you with officer?” I ask curiously. Abigail stands behind me, holding onto me and looking up towards the officer.

“Can we speak inside Mr Harper?” he asks me, showing his identification badge. “And in private please.”

I look on confused. “Sure. Please come in,” I reply, as the officer walks into the house. “Abigail, me and the officer here need to have a talk. How about you go and watch some television?  I will be there in a minute.”

“Yes Daddy.” Abigail whispers nervously, as she walks into the living room.

“Would you like to follow me?” I say to him as he follows me into the kitchen. “What is it I can help you with officer?”

“Do you know this woman?” he says showing a picture of Michelle.

“Yeah, I know her. Her name is Michelle. She has been looking after my daughter Abigail since we moved into this town,” I explain to him. “Why, what’s happened?”

“The reason I have come to your house today Mr Harper, is to tell you that Michelle was found dead earlier this morning. She had committed suicide after throwing herself off a near-by building. I wanted to know if you found any of her behaviour unusual, or did you suspect there was anything wrong?”

I look in dismay. “No, no. Sorry I am just quite a bit shocked,” I stop for a second, shaking my head. “I never suspected any unusual behaviour about her. She seemed fine. I only saw her last night, as I came home late from work. But she seemed absolutely fine.”

He begins to write something down on his note-pad, before looking back up at me. “Would it be okay if I could speak to your daughter?”

I nod. “Sure, she is just in the living room.” I say to him, as we walk towards the living-room.

“Abigail, we have a gentleman here who would like to ask you a few questions.” I say to Abigail calmly, as the officer sits next to her.

“Hello Abigail, my name is Officer Oswald. I would just like to ask you a few questions about Michelle if that would be okay?” he says to her in a soft tone.

“She’s dead isn’t she?” Abigail replies bluntly.

The officer stops and looks at me, before turning his attention back towards Abigail. “Yes, I’m afraid that she was found dead earlier this morning. I would just like to ask you about whether you noticed anything unusual about her behaviour for the time that you had spent together?”

Abigail shakes her head.

“Are you sure there was nothing unusual about her behaviour? I need to try and get as much information as possible. If there is anything you do know, please let me know now.”

“She didn’t kill herself,” Abigail says turning towards the officer. “It was Samantha who killed her.”

The officer looks on confused. “Samantha?”

“Abigail, I thank that’s enough now!” I interrupt.  “Sorry we could not be of any help officer. I’m afraid my daughter has not been sleeping well these past few nights, and has not been quite herself since moving here.”

He stands up and looks at me. “Okay Mr Harper, well thank you for your help and take care. I shall be in touch with any new information that we can find.” He says shaking my hand, as I follow him towards the door.

"Take care Mr Harper." the officer says as he walks to his car.

"You too officer." I reply as I close the door and walk back to the living room.

“Michelle didn’t kill herself daddy,” she says to me. “Samantha killed her.”

“What do you mean Samantha killed her Abigail?”

“Samantha told me she was going to hurt someone daddy. I thought it was going to be you she was going to hurt.” She begins to cry, as I sit down next to her.

“Don’t worry Abigail; no one is going to hurt me,” I say comforting her, as she holds onto me. “We’re not going to stay here tonight.”

"But where are we going to go?" she asks.

"Anywhere, but here."