Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                Abigail holds onto me tightly, as the loud noise startles me. Who would be knocking on the door at nearly 4:00am, and especially that intense?

 I sit on the bed, holding onto Abigail, as the echo eventually disappears and turns the house to deafening silence. I could even hear the sound of my own chilling breath, as I wait to see if there would be another knock at the door. But there was only quietness that surrounded the house.

"Daddy, I'm scared," Abigail whispers to me, with a slight cry in the tone of her voice. I could feel the pounding of her heart as she held onto me.

"There's nothing to be scared of Abigail. No-one is going to hurt you," I say to her as I look around her room cautiously. I was feeling uncomfortable, but I did not want to scare her any more than she already was.

The room was becoming cold. It felt as if I had just walked into a freezer, as the temperature was rapidly beginning to drop, that I could see the sight of my own breath creating its own ghostly image in the air.

Abigail was beginning to shake with the coldness, and was burying her head close into the side of my body. The coldness felt exactly like it did in the nightmare, that I could feel the presence of something unexplainable. Which gave me chills as I thought about it.

The door of Abigail's room starts to creak and begins to move slightly like it had been pushed. I stare cautiously, as I wait to see what comes from behind the darkness of the door. It begins to creak again, pushing the door slightly more forward and exposing even more darkness.

"Daddy, is she there?" Abigail mutters.

"Don't move Abigail." I say to her as I slowly stand up and begin to walk towards the door, as Abigail stays sitting on the bed and hiding herself under her duvet.

"Be careful daddy." Abigail mutters again.

The door creaks again as I move forward. My heart pounding and my breathing became unstable with each step that I made. I raise my hand towards the door, and slowly open it fully as I stare down at the hallway looking towards my bedroom which is on the other side. There was nothing.

"There's nothing." I say turning to her.

I turn back towards the hallway, looking in horror at the ghostly figure that was standing at the doorway of my bedroom looking towards me. Standing there, completely motionless. I felt petrified once again that I wanted to move, but it was if I had no control over my body. The fear had overwhelmed me.

"Daddy, what's wrong?"

The girl was still standing at the doorway of my bedroom, looking towards me with the same mask like face which was obscured by her long dark hair. A sinister growl started to come from her.

"Daddy, I can hear her!" Abigail screams.

"What do you want from us?" I yell down towards the hallway beginning to fuel with anger as I was not going to allow my daughter to suffer.

She laughs maliciously at me.

"Do you think this is funny?" I say in a fierce tone. "You fucking stay away from us! Do you hear me? You fucking stay away from us!"

She laughs again at me. The laugh was bone-chilling to its core that sounded like a soul which enjoyed inflicting pain on others and making them suffer. It was full of hatred and anger.

"Leave us alone!" Abigail screams covering her ears.

"Samantha, that's your name isn't it?" I ask the girl, as she growls in response to this. "We don't wish to cause you any harm."

Samantha tilts her head.

"Please, just don't hurt us." I beg in desperation.

Samantha laughs "Please don't hurt us," she says mocking me. "Please don't hurt us." She repeats, mocking me again.

"What are you?" I ask in dismay.

"Christian, don't you remember me?" Samantha says as I listen to the voice in horror. Surely this could not be possible to what I am hearing. The sound of her voice made me feel sick to my stomach.

"It's me Christian... your wife," she says mimicking her voice.

"You're not my wife!" I roar back at her. "My wife- my wife is dead!"

"Because you killed me Christian!" the voice roaring back at me. "You're the reason why I am dead!"

  "No, no, that's not true!" I say shaking my head, trying to block its voice out. How did she know who Lorraine was? What was I truly  dealing with?

"Yes, yes, it is true. It's because of you I died that night. You're the one who should have been that in car."

"It was an accident!" I yell. "How did I know there was going to be a crash?" yelling again, allowing the words to work its way into my head.

"You don't deserve to live!" she shouts to me as I fall onto my knees, relieving the guilt that I had felt for so long. I was the one to blame for Lorraine's death. It should have been me in that car.

"Daddy, don't listen to her!" Abigail says running over towards me. "Leave us alone!" Abigail screams to Samantha as she holds onto me. Samantha was beginning to walk down the hallway towards us.

"Abigail, I need you to go and hide!" I shout to Abigail in desperation. "Go and hide now!"

Abigail runs to hide in the wardrobe while I close the door, and push one of the cupboards in front of it so it blocks access to the room.  There is a thunderous force that is pushed against the door, as I push my weight into the cupboard to try keeping the door shut.

"Just leave us alone!" I yell.

"Christian, open this door!" she says mimicking Lorraine voice again. "Christian I'm scared. Please open this door!" she lies to me cunningly.

"You're not my wife!"

"Christian, please I'm really scared. I think someone is coming behind me. Please don't let them get me!"

Its voice was beginning to trouble my mind. I tried desperately to block the voice out, but it was poisoning me that I found it hard to resist to its cunning lies. It knew exactly what my fears were, and it was feeding off my guilt as if it fuelled her more and then made her stronger.

"Please Christian, I'm your wife!" the voice sobs to me as I try hard to resist its lies.

"I'm not afraid of you!" I shout as she laughs at me from behind the door.

"We shall see." She laughs again. "We shall see."