Chapter Twenty-Three: Political Problems

"Tig, baby, we got church," I lean over his sleeping form.

He stirs and I stroke his hair, trying to wake him up gently. I lean down and press a soft kiss to his temple and as I pull away, his eyes flutter open.

"Hey babe," he says groggily.

"We have church," I respond, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Okay," he gets up and heads to the bathroom.

"You okay?" I ask, following him.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he says, "I've pushed it out of my head."

"That's not good. . . ."

"Well what am I supposed to do, huh?" he yells, "Tell them what happened? That would go over so well!"

"I'm sorry, I-" he cuts me off.

"No, it's my fault and I have to deal with it, but don't worry Audi, I've already dealt with it."

I nod as he pulls me into a hug, squeezing me tightly. I wrap my arms around his torso and snuggle close to him. He lets me go and I look up at him to see him watching me with caring eyes, "I love you."

"I love you too."

~*~*~*~*~

"All clear," Chibs says.

"How is he?" Clay asks Jax.

"I don't know," Jax runs a hand through his hair.

"How do you think he is?" Piney asks.

"There's no viewing," Jax says, "Funeral's tomorrow."

"Well let's get people down for this," Clay says, "I want a good show of support."

"Happy's already in town," I speak up.

"I'll make the calls," Juice quickly says, shooting me a glance.

'Thank you, Juice!' I think.

Clay leans forward, resting his elbows on the table, "I gotta take responsibility for this. . . . . I was the one who pushed for the deal with the Mayans, I didn't know there would be this kinda blowback."

'You fucking liar!'

"We all voted 'yes' on the Mayan deal," Chibs says, but I can see in his eyes that he's knows something is up, "Nobody saw this coming."

"That's right," Tig says, looking at me.

"Yeah, but it did happen," Piney snaps, "So how do we handle it?"

"The Niners will get their payback," Clay says, "But for right now, we gotta be there for Ope."

"We help Ope by settling the score," Piney retorts, "We track down Laroy and put a bullet in that nigger's head."

Clay glances at Jax and I.

"Why are you lookin' at them? I'm the one who's talking to you!" Piney yells.

"I know, brother," Clay says, "I know you're hurting and you think you're trying to help-"

"Don't you tell me what I'm thinkin'!" Piney snaps, "If this happened to your family, there'd be six charters half way to Charming."

"This did happen to in my family!" Clay yells.

"No it didn't!"

"Enough!" I yell, standing up from my seat and slamming my hands on the table, "Vy vse kuchu chertovykh detey!"