Chapter 37: The Interrogation Part II

Anne Halton

“One more time,” Jess says. “What is the Sword of God?”

Jess is interrogating Darcy Young again.

 “I don’t know,” Young says.  “I told you all of this before.  I don’t know anything about the Sword of God, or the break in at your station or anything.”

He must know more than he is saying, she thinks.

“We know about your organization,” Jess says.  “Have you been in contact with any other members of Legion?”

“No,” Young says.  “I haven’t been in touch with anyone.”  His voice is weak and hopeless.  “Not even my wife has come to visit me.”

Young looks utterly broken.

He’s living my greatest nightmare.  I’m afraid one night I’m going to do something terrible, hurt the people I love, and destroy my life.  The worst part of Young’s situation is that he can’t even remember doing anything.  He doesn’t understand how or why he did what he did.  He just did it and now he has to live with the consequences.

Jess almost wants to comfort him, but she’s seen the pictures.  She’s seen what Young did to his wife and she understands why the woman isn’t coming to visit. 

Maybe the wife would be a good source of information, Jess thinks for a moment.  Ultimately, she doubts it.

“How did you first come to work for Legion?” Jess asks.

“I don’t work for Legion,” Young says.  His voice changes.  “We are Legion.  We are the many.”  His voice sounds distant, as if he’s murmuring something in a dream.

“What do you want?” Jess asks.  Whatever game Young’s playing isn’t going to stop her from seeking answers.

“We want the Sword of God.”

“Why?” Jess asks

“To destroy it.”

It doesn’t make sense to Jess.  “Why are you looking so hard to find this thing just to destroy it?”

“They found it first,” Legion says.

“Who?”

“They go by many names.  You know them as Forseti and Riley.  They want to use the Sword.  They think the boy can control it.  They do not understand what the Sword is.  It is the searing light.  It is pain.  It will bring oblivion to us all.”

If the Sword is just some old piece of junk, Jess would rather let this cult get it, burn it, and move on.  If it’s a weapon, though, it needs to be found.  Why won’t Riley tell me more? Jess thinks.

“Why are you telling me all of this?” Jess asks.

“He is using you,” Young says. 

“Who’s using me?”

“Riley.”

“What’s he using me for?” Jess asks.  She doesn’t entirely trust Agent Riley.  She wants to know more about him.  She wants to have some control over this case.

“It wants to use you to get to her.”

“Who?” Jess asks.  She’s afraid he means me, but she can’t think of any reason why they would want me.

Suddenly, as if by the flick of a switch, Young is himself again. “Who?” Young asks.  “I’m sorry, I just lost track of what we were talking about.”

“Who do they want to get to?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Young says.

“You just said that they want to use me to get to her.  Who do they want to get to?” Jess demands.

Young is upset.  “I’ve had enough of these games.  I don’t know what you’re talking about.  You aren’t going to trick me into giving you information because I just don’t have it.  Can you take me back to my cell now?”

“Alright,” Jess says.  The whole conversation was recorded.  She wants to listen to it again to try and decipher it and then she’ll show it to Young and get him to tell her more.  A lot of it sounds like garbage, but if she can understand how Legion thinks, she might be able to stop them.