No Good Deed

Klaus stares at the invitation while he stands on the balcony overlooking the French Quarter. He eventually turns to head back into his bedroom, where Hayley is laying flat on Klaus' bed and where Lucien leans against the wall texting someone.

"It is times like this I'm really glad I never knew my mother."

"Ah! Just be glad you didn't know her before she died. I was a teenager and killed the men responsible, triggering my curse." Hayley grits her teeth and looks at me apologetically.

"We have enough enemies here. And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family."

"Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our baby's heart. I will happily add to the body count."

"And I will gladly help with that!" I raise a have eager to volunteer. Klaus smiles at Hayley, as Elijah enters the room.

 "You will do no such thing. Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know whose body she currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host. "

"Well, her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul."

 "Well, then. We have...  this afternoon to prepare for the worst." Elijah leaves. Hayley rolls her eyes, which makes Klaus smile.

"The bloom is off the rose, I see." He follows Elijah out.

"Shut up."

********************************************

Reagan

Luc and I, seeing that Klaus and Elijah were going to be busy with their mother took the opportunity to see if everyone in the pack had arrived. We set them up in an old motel just outside the Quarter, Luc over a couple hundred years has become quite wealthy and so the place was easy to buy. Of course, If anyone knew a new pack was moving into town it could start something. But we didn't fear that Esther would try and turn them with the promise of Moonlight rings as the already had them or most didn't mind turning with the full moon.

The wolves of our pack were like a second family to us.

Some wolves like Luc's best friend Ben had been with us for years. Some like us were from a powerful werewolf bloodline. Where we're from and given the time period, there were three major werewolf bloodlines from which all of our pack descends. These three packs possessed special powers, controlled shifting, very heightened senses, much longer lifespans, and other such things.

But it feels so good to see everyone again...

Setting out of the SUV onto the soft gravel in front of the motel is nice, complete with a pool and enough rooms to fit the fifteen members of our pack. The fresh air feels nice against my skin and following the laughter coming from around back towards the trees and designated party area, Luc had to make sure the package was complete. No doubt, the pack was eager to get started celebrating being all back together whether or not it's in a new place or not.

"AH, ya'll started without us!" I call out laughing, the pack turns suddenly Ben cracking up as he gets up and bear hugs the two of us.

"My god I missed you two!" He leads us over to where the others are. They had a bonfire roaring with folding chairs surrounding it, a small table for hotdogs and smores.

"Aw, girl you can't blame us! We're party people!" Adrianne a sweet southern belle we picked up in Georgia fifteen years ago when she was ten and triggering her curse for the first time. We hug and she pulls me up a chair as Ben and Luc go to catch up with some of the other guys.