Candy Killers: Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Mrs. Knickerbocker smiled as the bell on the front door jingled.

We stood in line behind a family of three and two teenagers. The menu had over fifty different sugary treats and twenty flavors of ice cream.

Ella started to list off everything she wanted. My mother pulled out her phone and recorded the list.

"What do you want, Jace?" she asked.

"I'm good," I told her.

"Jace doesn't deserve anything!" spat Ella.

My blood boiled. "You know what? I'd love a piece of fudge. Mint chocolate chip."

Our mother added it to our list. This time, I stuck out my tongue. Childish, I know, but I couldn't help myself.

When we got to the counter, my mother rattled off a long list. She forgot my fudge, but I didn't care, my eyes had landed on something much better. A "Help Wanted," sign stood in the corner of the store.

"Anything else?" asked Mrs. Knickerbocker, a slight shake in her hands as she scooped up a pile of chocolate covered pretzels.

"Are you still looking for help?" I asked.

The older woman with wispy white hair smiled. "Yes, dear. Are you looking for a job?"

I nodded, ignoring the shocked look on my mother's face. "Do you have an application?"

She smiled and shook her head. "Can you stop by tomorrow at 4PM?"

I nodded. "Absolutely!"

***

"Are you sure you have time for a job?" asked my father. "What about your classes? When will you study?"

"Mrs. Knickerbocker only needs help on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturdays. I can work afterschool on the week days and Saturday she needs me from seven until noon. That shouldn't impact my study time."

He frowned and ran a hand through his black hair. "Are you sure?"

"Totally."

Shrugging his shoulders, my father said, "I don't see a reason why you shouldn't give it a try. But, if your grades fall, you quit, immediately. Deal?"

"Deal." 

*******

Cliffhangers,

Thanks for reading chapter two of CANDY KILLERS! 

I'll be posting another chapter soon, as they are quite short! :) 

I have another exciting new story to share with you soon as well! Eek! 

Hearts,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. All votes are hugely appreciated as are comments and adding this book to your library! 

 All votes are hugely appreciated as are comments and adding this book to your library!