The Ice Cream Man: Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Jeremiah

We never saw Darius again. My little brother cried for three days straight.

The police interviewed the ice cream man, but nothing ever happened to him. He continued to visit the neighborhood and give out free ice cream.

At first, only a few kids would run to his truck, but as the summer nights got hotter, people quickly forgot that the ice cream man might have been the last person to see Darius alive.

Eventually, the posters bearing his face had faded and ripped, and the people on the news stopped reporting that they didn't have any updates on the case of the missing boy from the projects.

"Jer, PLEASE!" pleaded Jaquan.

"Jaquan, I am NOT going to tell you again! You are NOT allowed to go anywhere near that ice cream truck!"

"I hate you," screamed my brother.

"Jaquan, don't be like that," I responded, trying to grab his shoulder.

He pushed away from me and raced toward the truck.

I let out a sigh and chased after him. I need to get a job, I thought as I wove in and out of the massive crowd surrounding the ice cream truck. Then I could buy him all the ice cream his little heart wanted. 

Kids and adults stood in line. Some had a few dollars in their hands, ready to fork over for a special treat others were hoping the ice cream man would take pity on them and give them something free.

POP, POP, POP!

The sounds of gunshots rang out.

"JAQUAN! HIT THE GROUND!" I shouted, hoping he would hear my voice.

I dropped to the ground and covered the back of my head. After a few more shots went off, I peeked up and searched the sea of people on the pavement for my brother.

Jaquan, where are you? I thought as the panic constricted my chest.

Sirens filled the air. People scattered while others screamed.

I slowly got up and looked around. Nearby, two bodies lay motionless in dark red puddles of blood.

"JAQUAN!" I shouted, looking around the small crowd. "JAQUAN, WHERE ARE YOU?"

No answer.

"JAQUAN!"

After ten minutes of searching, I sank to my knees as my surroundings began to spin. Both my little brother and the ice cream truck were gone.

***

Hey, Lovelies!

That was short and sweet! Get it? Ice cream? Sweet? *insert evil laugh*

What do you think happened to Jaquan? Do you think his brother will find him?

More updates coming soon!

Hearts,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo 

P.S. I have loads of short stories coming up! :) The Father, The Executive, The Trainer, The Friend, The Neighbor, etc.

Do you have any short story suggestions? If so, leave it in a comment below and if I go with your suggestion, I'll dedicate the first chapter of the story to you!