The Ice Cream Man: Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The Ice Cream Man

"I brought you another friend, Son," I said with a wide smile.

I rubbed my arms, fighting off the cold.

"He likes ice cream sandwiches just like you," I continued as I wiped the frost off of my son's eyelashes.

"You two are going to be great friends. Plus, he can keep you company during the day when I'm at work."

I ran my thumb across my son's frozen cheek. I had saved him from the cancer that ravaged his body over five years ago. He had spent every day since in this walk in freezer.

"One day, they'll have a cure for leukemia and when they do, I'll bring you to the doctor and he'll be able to fix you."

I looked around the frozen room I had created for my son. With the latest addition, he had five friends. Three little boys and two girls about his age were sitting in beanbags, getting ready to play catch, or telling each other jokes in various spots around the room. Sometimes I moved them, I figured they must get bored doing the same thing all of the time.

"I'm glad you have a new friend," I said to my son, placing my hand on his freezing cold shoulder. "It's important to have friends. They keep you smiling, even when you're sick or feeling down."

My son's face looked so peaceful. I knew he was happy with his new friends, but I couldn't wait to have him back with me.

"Don't worry, Son," I said as I bent down and kissed his forehead, "You'll be better soon. I promise."

*******

Hey, Hey, Hey!

So... did you see that ending coming? What did you think? How do you feel about the Ice Cream Man now?

 did you see that ending coming? What did you think? How do you feel about the Ice Cream Man now?

I can't WAIT to hear your thoughts!

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. All comments and votes are seriously appreciated! :)

P.S.S. Stay tuned for another short and terrifying tale coming your way soon!