Chapter Eighteen.

We reached another desk which was around the corner onto another corridor and further up from the main desk. Angela walked up to the person behind the desk.

"Oh hello Angela, can I help you with anything?" the young man behind the desk asked, grinning happily at us.

He had blonde floppy hair with a fringe that swept across his face and rested on his blonde eyebrows and bright blue eyes. He looked like he had just come home from a holiday abroad, as he had tan lines that were showing on his neck where his shirt collar was folded, revealing more of his neck than intended.

"Hello Aaron!" Angela greeted. "Yes, lovely, you could help me actually! This young lady here is looking for a patient that has been admitted in today. She was with her when the incident happened and just wanted to make sure that she’s okay but she doesn’t know where the paramedics rushed the patient off to. Could you help her find the patient please?"

Aaron rested his elbows on the desk and listened to Angela inventively, nodding to the majority of the words she was saying.

"Of course I can! Leave them with me!" Aaron smiled.

"Thank you! You literally are a life saver! I've gotta go look after the newbie in Ward 5. He has no clue on Earth what he is doing!" Angela huffed. Aaron giggled slightly.

"I know who you mean! He's not exactly as helpful, is he? Suppose its cos' the Ward is ridiculously understaffed, guess the NHS are just compensating and trying to staff the Ward again! But not to worry Angela, these two are in safe hands with me, have fun with the newbie," Aaron replied, sticking his tongue out and winking at Angela and I. Angela huffed.

"Catch you later! Nice to meet you two," Angela replied.

"Bye," I answered.

"See ya at lunch Ang," Aaron called out, Angela nodded and walked off still clutching her mug that she brought with her.

I stood there nervously watching Angela walk around the corner and out of my sight, Rhys continued to comfort me.

"So, who are we looking for?" Aaron asked, interrupting my daydreams.

"Er, I don't think anyone knows her name. She came in unconscious and I don't remember if I had told the paramedics her name or not," I replied.

"Well, what happened to her?" Aaron asked I looked down at my arm which I was gripping tight with my other hand with Rhys holding the other hand; I sniffed and could feel myself going pink. "Is everything okay?"

"Oh er..." I replied.

"Well?" Aaron pressed on; he swept his blonde hair out of his eyes and looked at me. I coughed slightly, clearing my throat.

"Her son, my best friend... got in an argument with her upstairs. I was in the living room with my boyfriend, we heard thuds so I decided to check it out and then about 5 minutes later her son pushed her down the stairs. She was unconscious and bleeding from the back of her head, which is why I'm covered in blood on my shirt," I explained, Aaron stood there, listening to every word that rolled off of my tongue, I could feel my cheeks getting warmer and warmer in embarrassment and I'm pretty sure Aaron could sense that I was uncomfortable, because he stopped talking about it.

"Okay, well if you two follow me, we'll go onto the ward where she may be, and if you see her just point her out okay?" Aaron asked. I looked at him, grinned and nodded. "Let's go then! Follow me,"

We walked beside Aaron as we walked up the corridor.

"How long you worked here then?" I asked, attempting to start a conversation.

"Err," he started and sighed deeply, as if he was trying to remember exact dates. "A few months, I'm only a student here,"

"Oh I see, so you want a job to do with Medicines and stuff then?" I asked, he nodded and smiled.

"My Mum always wanted me to, guess I aspire to make her proud," he sniffed, I smiled. I hadn't known him long; but he seemed like a sensitive young guy who had clear goals in life and he knew exactly how to achieve them, he also seemed like the type that is always happy to help in your time of need and he was easy to get along with and talk to, he was perfection.

"I'm sure she is," I replied.

"I hope so," he sighed. Rhys shot me a look as if to say ‘ease off a bit, you’re mine,’

I decided not to press on and ask him if he was okay, after all it wasn’t my business and I didn’t want Rhys to feel as though I was flirting.

He opened up some heavy fire doors after entering a 4 digit code into a nearby machine, he held one of them open and waited for Rhys and I to walk through.

"Thank you!" I said walking through the doors and smiling at him, Aaron nodded and grinned, then began to walk again, leaving the door to shut behind us.

"No problem, I've taken you the longer way. I'm sorry, it's not on purpose, it's just I'm not allowed to take you the quicker way, it's for staff only at the minute," Aaron sighed.

"Don't worry," I replied.

"Well, this is the ward that your friend should be on if she's just been brought in," Aaron sighed and looked away.

"Thank you for your help," I replied, he flashed a quick grin.

"You're welcome,” he answered. “Your friend should be on this ward. I have to return to the desk now but I'm sure the nurses in there will help you two,”

He sighed and began to walk away; I turned away and walked onto the ward with Rhys. Suddenly I felt small and uncomfortable, like I was two feet tall surrounded by comfortable, confident beings, I didn't belong here whatsoever, Aaron had gave me an unnoticeable burst of confidence that I have only noticed when he was no longer beside me. Nurses bustled past me, some not even acknowledging my existence.