Chapter Nine.

I couldn’t remember falling asleep last night and I didn’t even realise that Rhys had come into the room and got into bed next to me, I yawned and stretched looking over at a still sleeping Rhys beside me, I got out of bed trying not to wake him up as I looked at myself in the mirror and then walked downstairs where his mum was sat.

“Oh hello Sapphire, how did you sleep?” Jade greeted.

“I slept alright thank you, you?” I asked.

“Oh I slept like a log as usual!” she giggled. I smiled. “Do you want anything to eat or drink?”

“No I'm fine, thanks,” I replied.

“Are you sure? It’s no bother to me, I'm going in there anyway,” she asked again, the expression on her face told me that she was secretly urging for me to say yes.

“Okay, I’ll have some toast then please,” I replied.

“Want a cuppa with that?” she asked. I nodded.

“If you’re making one,” I replied.

“How many sugars do you have?”

“Two please,” I replied nervously.

“You don’t have to be shy here, Sapphire. Rhys explained everything to me before you got here and I accept you into our home. You don’t have to worry about anything, if you want anything help yourself to it or just ask me or Paul, that’s Rhys’ Dad,” she stated. I nodded.

“Thank you,” I answered, she smiled.

“Talking about Rhys, where is he anyway?” she asked.

“He’s still asleep,” I replied. Jade rolled her eyes.

“Now, why doesn’t that surprise me? Lazy beggar, it’s one o clock how he manages to sleep in so late I will never know,” she giggled, shaking her head as she hurried off into the kitchen. I sat down on one of the sofas in the living room, I caught glimpse of a German Shepherd in the corner of the room lay down on a pillow, and it was looking at me from across the room and looked as if it was a guard dog. I was worried that it was going to start growling at me or even attack me if I moved too quickly so I tried to stay as still as possible until Jade came back into the room.

“Oh don’t worry about Mollie, she’s an ex police dog that we rescued but don’t let that scare you she’s completely harmless!” Jade reassured as she handed me a plate with toast and jam on it and placed a mug of tea on the table in front of me. I kept peering over at the dog that had perked up after hearing its name. I took a bite out of the toast and some of the jam fell off and landed on my pyjama trousers, I groaned and wiped it off knowing that it was going to stain regardless.

Mollie got up and walked up to me, she was wagging her tail and panting and I all of a sudden felt safe around her. She sat next to me and was staring at my toast, every time I lifted it towards my mouth and took a bite she watched and drooled on my foot.

“Mollie, come away!” a man’s voice said sternly, making me jump. Mollie walked a few steps back and sat back down, only slightly further away from my food.

“Paul you scared Sapphire,” Jade groaned.

“Sorry Sapphire, she knows she shouldn’t beg for food and I need to make sure that we keep her in line,” Paul said.

“It’s fine,” I said.

“Nice to meet you anyway,”

“Nice to meet you too,” I smiled.

“Is the lump still in bed?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Gosh, I don’t know how he can remain in bed when the sun is shining,” Paul moaned. I smiled and finished eating the toast that Jade had made for me and then put the plate down on the table and sipped at my tea. Mollie edged towards the abandoned plate and started scuffling around looking for crumbs that I may have left.