Chapter 24

Joe's POV

DAY ONE

My brother was in shock. I was pretty sure of this. He wasn't moving. He just stared at the computer monitor, watching as two strangers were dragging his pregnant wife, who may or may not even be alive, to a white van. The open van doors blocked the view to see if they were gentle with her, as they put her inside the vehicle before they slammed the doors shut. Then the two figures climbed in the side door before the van sped out of the driveway, through the gate.

I got my phone out to call 911 & told them to come, quickly. I was freaking out, so I couldn't even imagine how Nick was feeling right now. It was going to hit him very soon, I was afraid. When he finally realized what was going on, he was going to freak. The love of his life, carrying his twins, was just abducted by who the fuck knows, for what the fuck ever reason. After I hung up with the 911 operator, I went to Nick. He was going to need to be cool soon, since the police were going to have questions for him.

I grabbed Nick by the shoulders, forcing his gaze to turn away from the monitor. I pulled him up out of the chair. "Nick! You need to snap out of this so you can help the police find Demi." I was almost shouting at him.

Nick blinked several times, then his chin started to quiver as tears welled up in his eyes. "Who would take her? Why?" He asked in the most pathetic voice I had ever heard in my life.

"I have no idea. That's what the cops need to find out. I need you to wait at the front door for the police & let them in. I am going to call mom & Dianna & let Blanda know what's going on. Can you understand what I am asking you?" I was holding Nick's arms pretty tight. I hoped I wasn't hurting him, but I needed him to snap out of this state of shock. Nick nodded, slowly. I pulled him with me to the front of the house so he could be near the door.

I watched Nick from the living room as I called Blanda first, then my mom, hoping my mom would offer to call Dianna. She did. I also told them all, as they spread the word, to not go public until we were given the okay by police. I watched enough crime dramas to know this. Nick stood by the door, a blank stare on his face. The buzzer from his gate rang & he didn't move. I ran over to buzz the cops in. I went to Nick again, shaking him lightly. "Nick, man. You need to snap out of this. I know you're in shock. Do you want to see your wife again?" I screamed at him.

Nick swallowed hard as his eyes met mine. "Yes." He choked out. Tears sprang to his eyes. My heart was breaking for my little brother right now. I pulled him into a tight embrace & then the dam was broken. He broke down in sobs, so I squeezed him harder, fighting my own tears. The doorbell rang & I let go of Nick.

I looked into Nick's eyes. "You need to think clearly so you can help the cops find Demi." Nick nodded as I turned to open the door.

"Hi, I'm officer Petit. Someone called in a possible abduction." He had a pleasant face & looked professional. In the tv movie that would one day be made about this, I imagined Bruce Willis would play him. Nah. Too old. Donnie Wahlberg. Yea. That's it.

I nodded, opening the door wider to let him & another officer in. "I'm Joe, this is my brother, Nick." I waved my arm in Nick's direction. "His wife was kidnapped. We saw it in the surveillance footage."

Officer Petit took out a notepad to write down everything we told him. I told him everything I knew & let Nick fill in the blanks. The officer followed us to the security camera station & we showed him what we saw. He turned to his partner, after he watched it. "Ring for more officers & the FBI. This is a pregnant celebrity who was abducted. This takes priority." His voice was stern, but not scared.

I saw Nick over Officer Petit's shoulder in the kitchen. He crumbled, holding on to the counter for support as he squeezed his eyes shut. It was becoming real to him now. I could see the meltdown was coming soon, so I went to him as the officer started looking around the property.