Chapter 17

Nick

I fought tears all the way to Joe's house, still in shock at what happened with Demi. It wasn't just what she said, but also how she said it. She sounded so serious & sincere with her words. She said it with so much ease, I was scared she meant it. She had no problem saying that word. It rolled off her tongue like any other word you would use every day. Could she divorce me that easily? Was it that trivial to her? Was it her way of pushing me away like she used to do when we first dated? Did she say it just to hurt me? My head was spinning with the questions in my head. I was shocked, too, by the fact that she tried to keep something from me & then didn't even consider my thoughts about protecting my own children. What kind of marriage did we have? What kind of parents were we going to be if this is how she handled things?  

Any tears that I had shed were wiped away when I rang Joe's doorbell, but my eyes were still red & swollen. Joe swung the door open & looked shocked to see my face. He knew I was coming, but I didn't say why or for how long. His eyes went to the bag in my hand & his eyebrow went up. "I need to stay here for a bit." I said, quietly. 

Joe stepped aside so I could come in. "What the hell happened?" 

"I could use a beer." I said as Blanda came into sight. I saw her baby bump & got sad, thinking of Demi's tiny bump. I felt the lump & tried to swallow it away. "Or I may need something stronger." I turned, dropped my bag & headed to the kitchen. I grabbed a beer, opened it & took a drink as Joe & Blanda came into the kitchen. "Do you have anything stronger?" 

"I have a whole bar." Joe laughed. He left the room, leaving me there to feel Blanda's stares. Joe returned with a bottle of something. He poured me a glass & I took a drink. 

"Are you going to tell us what happened?" Joe asked after Blanda nudged him. 

I sighed, then sat at the table in the corner. Joe & Blanda came in & sat down with me. I told them everything that happened, as best as I could remember. When I finished, Joe took a deep breath. 

"Wow." Joe said, leaning back in his chair. "That's harsh. You guys going to be okay?" 

I pressed my fingers into my eyes as I let out a sob & shook my head. "I have no idea." I looked up at him, my eyes wet with tears. "She said it with so much ease, like it was any other word in the world. And I get so sick of her saying these hurtful things to me, then blaming her illness & quite, frankly, I'm tired of it. It's exhausting." I wiped at my tears as they fell. "How can we parent together when she just does what she wants, not even considering my feelings?" 

Blanda cleared her throat. "Do you think maybe you over reacted at all & she was just feeling controlled & fought back?" I could hear in Blanda's voice that she was on Demi's side.  

"I don't want her & my babies doing that show. It's too risky. I don't think I over reacted."  

"I agree with Nick. He's just protecting his kids." Joe said, quietly. 

"Not to mention the fact that she threatened to divorce me when I didn't agree with her. I mean what is that about? It's exactly the way it was when we were dating except instead of breaking up with me for a few days, she threatens divorce. I'm not putting up with that shit for the rest of my life." I shook my head as angry tears burned my eyes. "I feel like..." I choked on my words. "like she doesn't love me as much as I love her." I choked on a sob. "I mean maybe every marriage isn't supposed to be equal. Maybe one person always loves the other one more. Who the hell knows." 

"I know without a doubt she loves you, Nick." Blanda said. 

I looked up at her, pressing my lips together. "Then why does she push me away? Why does she hurt me more than anyone ever has?" I really wanted to know.