Prologue [edited 25/07/12]

UPDATE: 22.01.14: Everything in this "book" is the old versions of a story I was working on when a younger teen. I have since deserted nearly everything about this story except the characters and a few basic plot points. What I didn't desert, plus a whole bunch of newer points, is now being written under the title "The Blood of a Human, The Blood of a Dragon". You can find this on my profile, and I would suggest you read it first. Thank you. :)

---

A/N: This has been edited as of 25/07/12. PLEASE read again I made quite a few changes :D

The fading sun caught the last traces of the damaged, fleeing boats as it slipped beneath the horizon. Scattered out along the white shores, the smashed and burning hulls of the remainder of the Sulkranar’s fleet left a bitter reminder that the war was not over.

Beyond the shores, smoke poured into the blackening sky from the smouldering remains of the once bustling towns and lush woods and farmlands of Sayeke. Mingling with the acrid smoke, the stench of blood and death rose from every battlefield, scattered out far and wide across the country.

Wavering shadows wandered aimlessly near the burning villages, the cries of desperate children searching for their parents drowning under the screams of mothers as they found the remains of their families.

Water laughed nervously somewhere from the creeks, hundreds of watery eyes blinking below the surface. The slowly spreading red stain drenched the water with the taste of blood till it was almost unbreathable. Suddenly the water splashed, the eyes gone.

Far to the west, high up in the snow capped mountains, a low, ear-piercing moan echoed out across the sky. The mourning of a dragon. The mourning of errors made and lives lost. Its sound radiated throughout the entire country, the peaks of the mountains reverberating with the growing wails of dragons.

Deep within the ocean, the salty water churned with the wails of its own dragons, each mourning their shared loss. A frenzy of spidery tails fluttered along the ocean’s surface, the klien throwing themselves out of the water in their anger and confusion.

Never had any of them intended this. Their first battle had been made to prevent this – not to create it.

Slowly the wavering blue and red orbs of the two moons crept along the water’s surface, each moon’s light filtering down onto the world below, bathing everything in their soothing purple glow. Thousands of faces turned to the sky, a look of peace crossing their pale purple eyes.  

                  Along the edge of a mountain, its woods untouched by the flames of before, the crackle of a campfire struggled to keep its little group warm. A lone wolf suddenly howled from somewhere out in the woods, its eerie cry piercing the silence.

                  Her body shivering madly, the little girl tugged at the jacket she’d been wearing since she first ran from her house three days ago, its thin threads poor protection from winter’s icy grip. Her mother slipped her arms around the girls sleeping body, pulling the girl closer to herself and the fire.

                  The wolf howled again, closer now. The mother’s eyes snapped to its direction, a look of fear passing suddenly across her eyes. Wolves never normally harmed humans, but after what had happened – anything was possible now.