9

Disclaimer: I only own the plot

Carter POV

I heard soft knocking on the door but ignored it as I wanted to be alone. If it was important they would knock again, but they didn't. I looked out from my balcony at Manhattan. I could see figures moving around throughout the city and could hear some of the noise, but not all of it.

Sadie was so annoying. She kept bugging me whenever I had time to relax, which wasn't often. It meant that a lot of the time I ended up being stressed by the end of the day, and at night I would get nightmares because I was just too stressed.

I felt arms wrap around me from behind and I tensed. The person was gentle and leaned against me, it was Zia. I relaxed. We stayed standing in silence like that for a while, before I couldn't stand it any longer. I turned around, startling her slightly, but making her smile. I placed a kiss on her forehead before I led her over to one of the deck chairs that I had on my balcony. I sat down and then pulled Zia into my lap and wrapped my arms around her so she couldn't escape. She laughed and placed her head on my shoulder. She always made me feel calm and confident, even  when I was dealing with Sadie.

"You okay?" Her voice was soft and calming. "Mmm" I replied pulling her closer to me. "What did Sadie say?" I didn't want to talk about my sister at the moment and I definitely didn't want to talk about the conversation/ argument that we had had that morning. "Nothing" She sat up and looked me in the eye, "Carter it wasn't nothing. Please tell me", she sounded sort of desperate. I could tell her, she was my girlfriend after all. She kept looking into my eyes, her face no longer looking at peace. Her amber eyes seemed to be pleading me to tell her what was wrong. There was a moment of silence where we stayed like that before she turned away.

"It's Sadie" I said, breaking the silence. "I gathered that" she replied turning back to me, looking relieved.

Zia POV

 "Every time I have the chance to relax, she ends up ruining it and I end up being stressed when I go to sleep" he sounded sad, "And most of the time when I'm stressed when I go to sleep, I get nightmares that sometimes end up haunting me for the whole of the next day." I tighten my arms around him. He chuckles looking at me. "This is the first time in a long time that I've been relaxed." Even though I'm sitting on him we're about the same height. Which makes me feel short, but I don't linger on that fact as I'm with Carter and I don't care.

"Why are you so perfect?" His question surprises me. I look at him with a shocked expression on my face. "No- no I'm not" I stutter. He laughs, "Yes you are Zia, or at least to me you are."

*Time Skip*

Carter and I have been talking  about what's been going on in Brooklyn House, which initiates have improved and about the book I had finished this morning. Carter checked the time on his phone and looks at me and smiles. "What?" I'm confused at why he's smiling. "We've been talking for three hours Zia!" I laughed, "We can't have it only feels like a few minutes have passed." "I know. But I guess time flies when you're talking with someone you enjoy being with." He looks at me with a smile on his face and I blush slightly. Carter leans into me and presses his lips against mine. The kiss starts slow and sweet but becomes more heated and passionate.

We don't stop the kiss even when it starts to lightly rain. It feels like forever since I've kissed him, even though it had only been the night before. We only break the kiss when the rain becomes heavier. We race back into Carter's room and shut the doors to the balcony before falling onto his bed and start laughing.

We stay in his room, enjoying each others company. Carter checks his phone for the time again, and slightly pales. "What?" "It's time for dinner and we probably should go now before people start...... uh.... thinking things are happening." I laugh at what he said but also blush slightly. "Let's go then" I say standing up. He rolls off the other side of the bed and stands up while I make my way to the door.

We walk to dinner together, Carter is going slowly. He thinks that Sadie will attack at dinner and is being cautious so he doesn't get caught by surprise.

Sadie POV

I was going to launch an attack on my brother at dinner but Walt had approached me and asked me not to. I had argued that it was just a little sibling rivalry and he had argued that it didn't look like 'just a little sibling rivalry'. He ended up winning when he kissed me, which was unfair because he knew he'd win by kissing me.  I had told Walt that I wouldn't 'attack' my brother if Walt promised not to tell Carter that he was safe. So my brother was safe for tonight but he didn't know that. Which means that he would probably be a bit paranoid which would still be funny.