My Fighter [10]

[READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE BOTTOM]

My Fighter [10]

It isn't a surprise where he's taking me. Colton's been dodging my questions all morning. He would simply tell me to get ready and then change the subject. He would even take my attention away by kissing me. A tactic that only worked for so long. I would push him away and he would go back to telling me to get ready and that we were going to be late.

At first I thought we were going out. We haven't been on a date since our anniversary when he found out about the baby. But then I tried getting ahold of Dakota. She wasn't answering her phone so I tried Mar only to get no answer. It was then that I knew what was happening.

It was no surprise that they were throwing me a shower. They—well Colton—told me about it. The only secret was the location. Even that I found out quickly this morning, right as we were about to leave, when my father posted a picture of him and Toby and forgot to turn off his location.

My favorite Italian restaurant is in Orlando, a short forty minute drive from our home. Even without my father's helpful picture, I would have known where we were going as soon as Colt got on I-4 towards Orlando. It's the only reason I'm ever in the city. The last time we were here I was skinny and I was giving a pregnancy stick as a present.

As we make our way into the city and park in the cheapest parking garage, Colton takes my hand and says, "Act surprised."

"I would have been fine with getting McDonald's and going home."

It was a week ago when I found I could stomach the greasy smell of my favorite fast food again. I haven't eaten their due to the baby inside of me and the lecture I got for eating healthy. The doesn't mean I won't pretend the salad I'm eating is really a big mac.

"That's what I told them but they got a good price on a private room" he said as we make our way to the stairs at the back of the parking garage. "Come on baby, let's go open some presents."

There aren't many people out in Orlando this early in the morning. Church Street is quiet as Colton and I wake hand in hand down the center of the lane. We pass by all the bars as I remember the times we used to spend all night there.

"I miss those days in college where we would all come down here and party all night. I remember you and Nick throwing up in that sewer grate." I point out the exact one in front of a bar. "People were making bets on who would puke the most. It's was Nick, by the way. That was the most drunk I have ever seen you."

"It was right after we won the championship junior year." He said with a smile, like he actually remembers anything from that night. "That was the weekend we got a hotel room so we could all drink. I don't remember much of that night but I remember the others. I don't think you paid for a single drink at all that weekend."

"None of us girls did." I chuckled, "All we had to do was wear a low-cut dress and boys just paid for everything. But I'll have you know, you didn't pay for a lot of those yourself either."

He laughs, "I forgot about him."

"How could you forget about your sugar daddy?"

"I've tried but you just keep bringing it back up." Colt and I have stopped in the middle of Church Street. We're standing in the middle of the road and simply staring at the different bars and restaurants remembering that weekend that seemed so far away now but really was only three years ago.

There was an older man at the bar that night. I had noticed him a few times as we bar hopped like everyone did on a Friday night on Church Street. I didn't think anything of him, but it was nearing about two in the morning when he walked in right behind us for the second time. At this point I knew he was following us. He was a good looking older man with greying hair and beard and beautiful blue eyes. Maybe the alcohol was clouding my judgement.