Chapter 17: Starting Over

Song^

Around your heart by Witt Lowry

Chapter dedicated to @Jackie2024

The police were quick to investigate that day, and everyone in town knew about it in an instant. Since this town is small, news get spread around faster than anything. Even the school knew about it and everyone was talking. I heard so many different theories on what happened, who done it, etc.

The investigation lasted for two weeks. They couldn't find any evidence on who done it, and they even sent in a special team of investigators but still couldn't find anything. I was a mess the whole time they were searching, hoping they wouldn't find anything and come looking for me. I couldn't sleep or eat at all. Even Toby and Tyler were panicking, because they were suspects due to the fact that I was the one who killed Harvey.

I had nightmares during that whole week. I kept replaying what happened, and I'd wake up in cold sweats. Shane asked me why I haven't been getting sleep or eating, but I'd lie to him and tell him that I was feeling sick.

The first week of the investigation, the police came to our school to talk to the students in the classrooms. When I found out about this, I was panicking. I was in Miss Collins' class the time when they showed up. They pulled her aside to talk to her, probably to tell her about the murder of her nephew. She was shocked and couldn't teach the rest of the day. They let her go home after she heard about it. Although her brother was someone who haunted her life for so long, I guess her nephew was still apart of her.

Miss Collins was distant that week. We didn't do anything in her class, and she barely looked up from her paperwork. I haven't even stayed after class because I was afraid to talk to her. Afraid that the truth might slip out.

What would happened if she found out that I was the murder of her nephew?

After the investigation failed, everything went back to normal. Nobody talked about it anymore. It was like a ghost in the wind; came and gone.

By now it was early November. Halloween came and gone, and I didn't do anything. I was afraid of going out so I stayed in and watched horror movies with Shane that night.

It's third period and I'm sitting at my desk doodling on a piece of paper. Miss Collins hasn't showed up yet, but the bell has already rang. The kids in the class were talking and joking around, and Toby and Tyler were sitting at the desk behind me, talking. Just then someone walked into the classroom.

"Hello, students. Unfortunately your teacher is not here today, due to personal issues. But we have a substitute on their way."

The class started whispering and I looked around at everyone, wondering what was wrong.

A boy from the back spoke up, "I heard that Miss Collins' brother committed suicide in prison."

I turned around and looked at Toby, who looked back at me with confusion. Tyler spoke, "What the hell?" Toby noticed a look in my eyes that only meant one thing; I needed to find Miss Collins. I excused myself to go to the bathroom, but left the school instead. Toby gave me his keys this time to let me go find her. She was probably at her grandparents house. No doubt they all heard about it.

After leaving the school parking lot, I made it to her house in a few short minutes. I parked across the street and walked across to the house. I walked up the porch and knocked on the door, waiting patiently.

Her grandma was the one who opened the door, "Oh! Hello Aubrey, what a nice surprise! Come in." I walked in and ignored the fact that she didn't ask why I wasn't in school or why she was so cheery after hearing that her grandson killed himself.